Acura World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I noticed this morning that when I was driving to work, the D was blinking off an on. I read on some sites that it could be an indicator of either low transmission fluid (Which I am hoping it is) or something could be seriously wrong with it. How can I check on my 2002 MDX? I tried searching for the dipstick and couldn't locate one under the hood so I am assuming that this does not exist

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The good news is you don't have a 3.2...

the bad news is that it might not matter. I'll let someone chime in, or you can invoke your google fu and find out if the tranny in the MDX is the same or has similar issues with the sedans. This range of years, Honda made utter crap for transmissions.

The first thing you need to do is go find someone with a good code scanner. I don't think the parts places can scan for transmission codes. You might need a shop to pull them, hopefully for a reasonable price. If you go to a transmission shop, beware of the up-sell but maybe they'll give you the codes. Post the codes.

Maybe it is just low transmission fluid. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'd say the chances you do not have a serious problem are about 20%.

Most Honda customers never read their owner's manual or the service directives. Was the transmission fluid drained and filled every 30,000 miles on this baby? If not, your chances of a serious problem probably went to 100%

BTW, the owners manual would show you where the dipstick is, but here is a video to show you.

https://youtu.be/co1eAJXySps

·
Registered
10 Posts
Did you try to check the wiring out?Maybe problem lies right in there
I have never faced with such problem sorry

·
Registered
24 Posts
Astro, I respect your knowledge and opinion, but any tranny needing the work you describe *every* 30k is a damning indictment on the tranny not the owner. You know full well there were design issues and it had nothing to do with the owner. Stop repeating FUD. Honda produced a POS - go to craigslist.... autotrader, carcomplaints

OP - do some research on the tranny in your MDX. Sorry, all I know are Accords and TLs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts