Acura World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
while at dealer test driving 6sp CLs for second time,I asked about blown ts auto trans, dealer service writer said they had only one blown tranny
in all the cars they sold. blamed it on driver playing with sport modes of the tranny and causing
over revving. Right. I asked doesn't car have rev
limiter to prevent that. no he said if car is over reved and dropped to lower gear. makes no sense??:dunno: :dunno: :bs:

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
Typical.

I brought my nearly-dead tranny to my local dealer and they had 2 CLSes and 1 TLS waiting for a tranny also AT THE SAME TIME.

The car does have a rev limiter. Sounds like so much BS again from a local service department. He must be new. :D

Oh well - they replaced it under warranty and fixed my brakes that I didn't even realize shuddered. :dunno: No questions asked here.

Jay Gans said:
while at dealer test driving 6sp CLs for second time,I asked about blown ts auto trans, dealer service writer said they had only one blown tranny
in all the cars they sold. blamed it on driver playing with sport modes of the tranny and causing
over revving. Right. I asked doesn't car have rev
limiter to prevent that. no he said if car is over reved and dropped to lower gear. makes no sense??:dunno: :dunno: :bs:

·
Moderator?
9,790 Posts
I'm with you. The transmission is computer controlled. The "shifter" only suggests to the computer what you'd like to do. If you try to downshift to a gear that would overrev the engine, the LED will blink a couple of times and ignore your shift command. I know, I've done it.

·
Yuck Foo
2,589 Posts
You could potentially go over the rev limiter if you were to shift manually through D5-->D4-->D3-->etc. using the shift gate and not the Sport Shift.

·
Moderator?
9,790 Posts
SidVicious said:
You could potentially go over the rev limiter if you were to shift manually through D5-->D4-->D3-->etc. using the shift gate and not the Sport Shift.
You sure about that? I though the computer still has the final say regardless of which side you use.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how many of you have had blown trannys?

I really did not like the six speed car. like the tls . what are the chances of a the tranny going
bad of it drive sanely, meanig kicking down when opportunity presents itself?

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
Re: how many of you have had blown trannys?

Driving style didn't seem to make a difference. Scutttlebutt was that a bearing in the tranny was not designed well enough to take the torque of the CLS - apparently new trannys have the fix - none of which is confirmed by Acura.

It's a hit-or-miss proposition, though with the '02 and up, the rate seems to be lower.

Jay Gans said:
I really did not like the six speed car. like the tls . what are the chances of a the tranny going
bad of it drive sanely, meanig kicking down when opportunity presents itself?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just had my automatic tranny replaced on my '01 CL-S. It had only 30K miles on it. The problem came on within about 2 weeks and the car became un-drivable due to tranny problem. The problem first appeared as the tranny doing mildly annoying things like clunking during down shifts once in a while. One day on my way home from work, driving about 45 mph with a steady pedal and the transmission dropped suddenly into 1st gear, chirping the front tires for an instant. It then banged back into high gear, banged into 1st chirping the tires again. It was very scary! I was holding the wheel with both hands, and white knuckles. The car behind me was pissed thinking I was jacking him. For the next 15 minutes of driving, it would go in and out of this whacko mode. Finally it just got stuck in 1st gear, the "check engine" and VSA lights came on and and the D5 light was blinking. I drove the last 3 miles home in 1st and it still shifted a few times on me whenever it wanted to. When I got home I called Acura Roadside service. They sent a flatbed truck to get my car. It took 3 weeks to get the tranny replaced! Finally, my car is back and seems to run fine. The dealer gave me no valuable info on this issue that we all believe is a border-line recall situation.

·
57 Posts
So far....so good. I have 41,000 miles on my tranny and no problems. I am a very conservative driver..meaning...I hate mashing down on the accelerator pedal.

I wonder how extensive the problem really is. Honda stated in the newspapers that only 2% of the trannys failed. And the other thing is that one would think that the papers would take a huge problem like this and run with it. I've seen nothing on TV or in the papers.

On the other hand, going out to 100K on the warranty indicates either (1) Honda admits that there is a problem or (2) they're so confident in their trannys that this was a relatively low risk decision.

·
Registered
10 Posts
u guys should send the problem over to FOX 11 NEWS... i think they would care.... when my transmission died i almost had an accident, its really dangerous

·
Registered
71 Posts
im on #3! honda knows they have a serious issue and i only hope they got it fixed this time around. the replaced my tranny at 115k for free i was really surprised.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Fellas,

I'm new to the Acura world after coming from a Mercedes world. I spoke with the Acura dealership and the service manager did admit that there is a problem with the TL and the CL trannies. He mentioned something about the valve body for the 3rd gear being too restrictive, hence not enough fluid getting to the proper areas?

I hope this clears a bit up for you guys with blown trannies. My sister is in the market for a new TL, and I don't know if I really want her to be in a car with a possible faulty tranny. Sounds scary when you're driven 45+ MPH and the tranny decides to do something wacky.

vu

·
492 Posts
My trans just went out yesterday in my 03 CL-S, it slipped a couple of times the day before and was shifting somewhat abruptyly and yesterday it started really slipping and banging in and out of gears, I have lost 1st and it wants to take off in 4th unless I manually put it in 1st or 2nd, VSA, SES lights are on and I have a blinking D5 light as well. Called Acura and they are taking the car in today and giving me a loaner. The car has 14K on it. The service writer told me that its not an uncommon thing, they asked no questions or gave me a hard time, said bring it in and they will take care of everything, I have had nothing but good luck with Acura service on my last CL and this one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My '03 TL-s is doing precisely what you describe. I've already been promised a replacement tranny that should be available in a day or two. My problem is that they are merely replacing the defective one with a rebuilt transmission that is of the same design, and has already failed in someone else's car (it's been rebuilt for some reason, no?). Anyone had a "new" tranny installed under warranty? I have thought about insisting on this, but wanted some input. I have only 18k on this car. I don't want a tranny with 60k put in it. Am I being anal?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had a new tranny at 60K. I now have 80k and seems to be working fine...can I expect that this tranny will last? Are they replacing these trannys with ones that don't fail or just ones that will last long enough to get you to the 100k warranty mark???

Willi, I would say demand a new one!!!

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
Who knows about the "fixed" ones - it seems the fix they applied to them is not really much IMO (they enlarged a feed port for the ATF system) and the same conditions will still cause it to fail, but who knows.

I've got 15k on my new "fixed' tranny so we'll see.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well I thought they were going to replace the transmission, but when I showed up for the appointment, they said the order for the transmission was "cancelled" and they sent new shift solenoids instead and they felt this should resolve my problem. I picked the car up and drove about 1/2 mile and noticed some slipping and the shudder during upshifts. Now they are ordering the 'new' tranny. The very next day(Friday), traveling about 40mph and all of a sudden the car jerked violently into 1st gear then back to 4th or fifth. Then when I got to my destination, It wouldn't move in reverse at first and then finally did. This is the first time for this symptom. I finally had had enough and asked for and got a loaner until the transmission was replaced. It's Wednesday and still no word on when my car will be fixed. On it goes. I will post when repairs are completed. I'm about to give-up on this car.:mad: Maybe I'll have to go back to Toyotas.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thursday October 16, the transmission has been replaced along with a new control module. Everything is working good, the car drives like new again. One problem though, I asked if my 2003 TL is included in the extended warranty for the transmissions and they looked up my VIN and said that it was not. Looks like I'm gambling on whether this thing will fail again in the next 31k miles. Anyone know anything about this extended warranty issue? It would be nice to know why my car is not under this plan, when apparently the problem still exists on some of these later tranny's.:dunno:

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
My expereice was at 85mph - I think. I was moving pretty good, I looked down to grab another DJ Tiesto CD (Ken suggested I listen to him) and it just downshifted. The engine roared way into the red, I shit my pants, and everything was fine in a sec. Now, here's the kicker, this was at 85mph. on the way home I saw a few bales of newspaper on the road. This was a seperated Interstate and the bales were on the opposite direction then when it first happened. I'm thinking I hit one of those things, dragged it under the car increasing resistance thus making the tranny downshift and throttle increast - I was using Cruise control.
Does Cruise control try to compensate? I would think it should shut off in somethig like that.
I've been keeping an eye on this now... When I'm in the lower gears I feel almost a shutter and an "unstable" engine idle when under light accelleration. It seems when I accellerate moderatly or floor it everything behaves normally. So maybe I stumbled onto a defense for a ticket.:dunno:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts