Acura World banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Purchased: April 28, 2001
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I pretty much pushed my car to its limits tonight (well almost) at the Golden Gate Fields parking lot (an SCCA autocross course on Sunday afternoons) @ 11pm. No one was around to see us (except these 2 cars...probably making out) and I wasn't driving. A friend of mine recently bought a 2002 IS300-M and we wanted to do a quick comparison between the bodyrolls (yes...he is done with his break-in) before we called it a night. :cowboy:

I must admit...ever since the accident, it's either I've lost my trust in machines in general or I'm simply getting older...but this experience definitely frightened me more than usual (enough for me to end the second drive short). :paronoid:

After circling the lot to identify the boundaries of the gravel area (made for testing out 4WD vehicles...and we were not about to mess up our new paint jobs) we proceded with the test. We went through a series of sharp and quick turns simulating emegency lane changes, a couple sets of wider series S-turns (with forces that could easily end up in a spin out if it wasn't for VSA), and a couple short straight way acceleration tests (so my guest can hear the CAI and exhausts at work). :beerchug:

Then we headed home, traded cars and did the very same thing in the IS300-M. Both times I was a passenger, and kept my mouth shut to let my guest make his own subjective opinion. :sleeping:

To my suprise, my guest thought that the TLS (Neuspeed equipped of course) induced alot less body roll than his stock IS300-M! :thumbsup: The difference between the 2 was outstanding. He states, "My car would waste energy & momentum swaying and then turning, but ur TLS would go straight to turning". He was amazed how much just adding the sways improved the ride (his family also owns a TL). Ever since his first modding experience, he was a firm believer that the springs/shocks combo always played the larger part in body roll reduction...untill now.

I myself couldn't agree more...but one thing that's for certain is that the size and weight is were the TLS is hurting. The weight of the TLS shows when it understeers during full on turns, and according to my guest...his entry speed had to go down alot because he felt that the TLS tended to understeer at extreme speeds. :egoshoot:

Both were fun drives. I have never personally pushed my car to these limits and it was a great experience comparing the 2 directly back to back. Having riden in both I felt a little safer in the TLS. Maybe it was the stiffer sways, or the overall wider track, but making sharp left turns with the IS300-M, where the rear is ready to break loose at any moment with just a little tap of the accelerator is what the TLS would never experience. :shakehed: But...the greater body roll and the fact that I was almost staring at the ground made the IS300-M test drive frightening enough for me to call it quits. In the end, all I could say is that the shotgun seat with an extremely sharp left turn equals to an unpleasant view...what more if done in a regular street. :eek:

Now to run these same test on new tires...then we're talking. :bigok:

·
I am no one
14,751 Posts
wow excellent review edgalang, i like it a lot. very nicely written, and of course it's good to hear those words coming out of your friend's mouth :)

coincidently, i was working till very late today in the office, and by the time i left it was like almost 1 already. there were no one in the parking lot and on the street around, so i took my car for a quick spin. thankfully i got a chance to drive a totally stock tls the other day, so i tried to compare cornering, etc etc.....

i have to say the difference is dramatic. with a stock tls, you are dealing with two things, body roll due to the stock sways and also the aweful tires. when you make sharp turns the car tilts just too much and the car loses a lot of grip.

however with my comptech sways the car is just so much better. body roll is greatly reduced, and now the only limitation is my tires. i keep on hearing my tires chirping and finally on one turn my rear spinned out (of course i turned vsa off) and i had to steer the other way to regain control. but other than the tires the sways gave the car a much more solid ride.

with that in mind, i just can't imagine how much better tha neuspeed would be. that combo is much thicker than the comptech, so i know it will be so much better. but i am sure you will need some real rubbers to test out its limit

·
Registered
114 Posts
I wonder if VSA would have helped me get out of my wreck... hmm.. too bad i had turned it off.. =/
-jyang411

·
I am no one
14,751 Posts
Jyang411 said:
I wonder if VSA would have helped me get out of my wreck... hmm.. too bad i had turned it off.. =/
-jyang411
i think it would help a bit but if you were already in some serious skid i don't think it could help much. when i first got my car i skid it quite a few time with vsa on and it was able to take away the power from my car and helped me correct the skid and redirect my car, but the skid wasn't serious

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.