Acura World banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
you can get both NSX calipers from car-parts.com for no more than $150...

but they are exactly the same as the type 2 dual piston calipers, they just have vanes on the outer side and say NSX in white letters (caliper is black)

·
Registered
233 Posts
RangerJoe said:
you can get both NSX calipers from car-parts.com for no more than $150...

but they are exactly the same as the type 2 dual piston calipers, they just have vanes on the outer side and say NSX in white letters (caliper is black)
Damn, 150 is a very good price. I submitted a search, see if I come up w/ anything.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yeah, that's pretty much the only difference between the calipers. So I do not think there are any maintenence issues. Pads are different, but only if you choose to use the NSX pads (I will), but supposedly they use a better material, and they really aren't too much more expensive if you don't buy them at the dealer.

·
Registered
110 Posts
very good info guys, I kinda figured the NSX was very similar to the Type 2, as for the rear calipers, I have read various different threads articles etc, most say exactly what you did Gride, that the NSX and Type 2 are basically the same cept for a few slight differences which you mentioned. Now as far as the balancing between front and rear, is that compromised in any way? I would assume it's not but of course I have to ask since the sedan has a different wheel base and of course is a little heavier than the coupe. I also had a question about brake fluid and our ABS systems, does anyone know if we are able to use a DOT4 Racing Blue brake fluid? It is not synthetic as far as I know and should be ok to use with the ABS system, they use this stuff in stock porches and some audi's and VW's, I know some of these fluids can deteriorate rubber brake lines, but I am going to be upgrading to stainless lines anyways and wouldn't change the brake fluid over until then. I am posting a link at the end of the message here, thas a photo of the brake fluid I have, I used it on my old auto x car and it worked AWESOME, it resisted water and air and has a pretty high boiling point to resist heat as well.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/2swiftgt/Weezy/000_0017.jpg

·
Registered
110 Posts
check that I said NSX and Type 2 and I meant the differences between Type 1 and Type 2, sorry for the confusion (it's been a rough morning at work and I am on break, seems as if my brain took a break too)

·
Registered
233 Posts
There shouldn't be balancing problems as you have just mentioned because on EDM Legends (since 91), they were already equipped w/ dual piston calipers I believe. However, as for the racing brake fluid, I am not certain, it's recommended that Legends use DOT3 or DOT4, so I always go OEM. So I am not sure about the racing fluid.

·
Registered
110 Posts
good I figured the braking balance wouldn't be an issue, bu I have to ask just to be sure ya know, I will do some research on the racing blue and see if it is compatable, it would be cool if it was, if not the OEM fluid will safice as I really dont drive my car hard enough to really warrant the racing blue. but you know if I wanted to go auto x for the hell of it one weekend, I would liek to know if I can use it or not, so that is def something I will look into and hopefully be able to post back some findings.

·
Registered
233 Posts
with stock brakes, you wont have any trouble with the OEM brake fluid.

that, and the car isnt fast enough to really warrant aftermarket BRAKE FLUID

·
Registered
110 Posts
very true, but it's the constant braking of auto x events that worries me, for street driving the OEM would be fine, possibly even for auto x too, I dunno I noticed a small difference when I used it on my Suzuki Swift GTi that I used to auto x, the pedal didn't seem to fade later on in my runs liek it used to with the OEM fluid, plus after a day of auto x I would have to flush all my brake fluid with the OEM, with the racing blue I never had to flush it, I haven't auto x'd my Legend so I dunno how it will or wont react, jst something that I kinda wanted to know in the event I chose to try and use the racing blue, chances are I wont even use it.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Ok, so one question and one question only befor I order this loaded set of Calipers for $179. I have a 91 LS Sedan and I wanna install the Type II calipers and brackets using the stock front rotors. Is this ok and doable without modification still using the stock 15" LS wheels?

·
Registered
398 Posts
here is your worries and i dont understand the mounting brackets entirely...

If you did calipers with the brackets i believe it offsets them differently and may grab the rotors in a different spot or what not.

I just swapped the calipers themselves and kept the type 1 rotors. So therefore i didnt change placement but only the grabbing force.

And yes i use 15's with this mod..but then again even with a full swap or partial(like your suggestion) you should be able to.

latta!

PS_GO EBC pads.....

·
Registered
416 Posts
Now here is a damn good question! Has anyone ever thought of trying to install thr Type I front calipers on the rear! would the bracket bolt up! The dust shield won't be a problem cause it can be cut back! I just got this thought while trying to jury rig my rear caliper brackets and looking at my old Type I calipers and brackets sitting on the floor. But I'm not messing with it tonight!

Later!
Lenny

·
Registered
110 Posts
type 1 front calipers on the rear wont work, the rotor is a totally different design. I mean I spose you could do a custom fab, but at the risk of losing ur e-brake. Also the front caliper is mounted in a leading position and the rears are in a trailing position, so I doubt the stock brackets would work.

·
Registered
416 Posts
LS92Sedan said:
type 1 front calipers on the rear wont work, the rotor is a totally different design. I mean I spose you could do a custom fab, but at the risk of losing ur e-brake. Also the front caliper is mounted in a leading position and the rears are in a trailing position, so I doubt the stock brackets would work.
Both my front and my rears are in trailing position! The fronts are just moved a lil upward. And why would I lose the E-Brake?? The calipers dont control the E-brake.

·
Registered
215 Posts
1_Hot_Legend_L said:
Both my front and my rears are in trailing position! The fronts are just moved a lil upward. And why would I lose the E-Brake?? The calipers dont control the E-brake.
The biggest problem would be the spacing between the mounting points for the caliper brackets. The mounting points for the front brackets are spaced farther apart than the rears.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Kenso said:
The biggest problem would be the spacing between the mounting points for the caliper brackets. The mounting points for the front brackets are spaced farther apart than the rears.
Ok, that answers my question then. I just seem to think that the rear brakes on our cars are way too small!

21 - 40 of 42 Posts