Acura World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:wtf: Okay, I need help. I have a '99 TL that has a brake lamp light that comes on intermittently. None of my brake lights is out (I've checked several times) and this problem has been ongoing since last summer. The dealer (ha ha, I know) suggested that I change my brake fluid, which was done, then suggested that I replace the master cylinder cap, which I also had done. The problem persists. It will come on while I'm in traffic, and will stay on until I shut off the car. Next day, no light, and this doesn't happen every day. Anyone have a similar situation or have any ideas how to resolve this?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,318 Posts
Does it say "Brake" or "Brake Lamp?" It could be a bulb installed backwards that's causing it, or also the third brake light could be out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It says brake lamp. Did check third brake light also, it's working.

·
Premium Member
7,318 Posts
Well I would just make sure they're all installed correctly, and *all* bulbs are working. Such as, the third brake light has more than one bulb in it, and if you have a spoiler the brake light incorporated into the spoiler will also count.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm, not to beat a dead horse here, but would the bulbs work at all if they weren't seated/installed correctly? I know there are 4 bulbs (2 per each) of the lower brake lights (I installed 3 of them myself last summer) and at least 2 in the third brake light in the rear window. I do not have a spoiler. Ah well, I suppose I can just live with it, annoying as it is. Thanks for the help :)

·
Premium Member
7,318 Posts
The bulbs are double filament bulbs (one for taillight and one for brake light). The housing is indexed so they can only go in one way, but some cheaper generic bulbs might let you install them 180 degrees around from the way they are supposed to go. The brake lamp light is activated by a change in resistance on the circuit (which is what would happen with one less filament in line), so if you have one in backwards it may function correctly as a tail lamp but not a brake lamp. I assume you're checking that they all work by having someone stand on the pedal while you look at the rear of the car?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I checked them again last night. All bulbs are lit, but I did not think to check the brake action when the tail lights are already lit (like when the headlights are already on). Will check again this evening and see if the lights get "brighter" when the pedal is depressed while headlights are on.

Thanks for the additional information.

·
Registered
3 Posts
:wtf: Okay, I need help. I have a '99 TL that has a brake lamp light that comes on intermittently. None of my brake lights is out (I've checked several times) and this problem has been ongoing since last summer. The dealer (ha ha, I know) suggested that I change my brake fluid, which was done, then suggested that I replace the master cylinder cap, which I also had done. The problem persists. It will come on while I'm in traffic, and will stay on until I shut off the car. Next day, no light, and this doesn't happen every day. Anyone have a similar situation or have any ideas how to resolve this?

Thanks!
I have the same like that, all brake light good, checked the paddle switch, it is good, brake fluid cap is good. tail light and spoiler light also good. so far still on brake lamp light. Any body can solve the brake lamp light.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same like that, all brake light good, checked the paddle switch, it is good, brake fluid cap is good. tail light and spoiler light also good. so far still on brake lamp light. When I start the car dash brake lamp light not on but when I touch the brake paddle, I heard the click sound from pc area and the lamp on. Any body can solve the brake lamp light.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts