Acura World banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to bring my TL in for its second maintenance - the 12000 Km service. Included in the service is resurfacing for the brakes. I'm wondering if that is a good thing? My brakes currently do not feel like they need resurfacing (no vibrations). Will resurfacing wear down the disks unnecessarily? Thanks.

·
Registered
737 Posts
no it will not wear it...mine have been resurfaced 4 times due to warping...im demanding new rotors tommorrow...you will eventually experience warped rotors...good luck...Shyne:king:

·
Registered
80 Posts
There is no way to re-surface the rotors without taking off some of the rotor. The re-surfacing will remove some of the rotor. Bad thing: rotor will tend to run a little hotter due to less material on the rotor. Good thing: less unsprung mass because the rotor is lighter. This means you should be able to accelerate a little faster, but, no human on earth will be able to feel the difference.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The weird thing is that resurfacing the rotors is part of a "free" maintenance at my dealer (first 3 maintenence are free). If it isn't necessary at all...why would Acura approve my dealer to do such a thing? What could their motive be behind it?

Nonetheless, I'm starting to consider telling them not to do it. My brakes are still very smooth...no resurfacing seems necessary at the moment.

·
I am no one
14,751 Posts
daltls said:
There is no way to re-surface the rotors without taking off some of the rotor. The re-surfacing will remove some of the rotor. Bad thing: rotor will tend to run a little hotter due to less material on the rotor. Good thing: less unsprung mass because the rotor is lighter. This means you should be able to accelerate a little faster, but, no human on earth will be able to feel the difference.
that's true, but i guess i would still get it resurfaced..... when the steering wheel is shaking it doens't feel good at all....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.