Acura World banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2003 type s w/o nav... ever drive with the radio off and hear a lot of cabin noise? (almost like the seats are creaking). Very annoying but I was told to pay attention to the moonroof. If you close the inner sun shield or open the moonroof the noise dissapears. You can test this by pressing up on your moonroof's glass. Does anyone know of a fix for this? I usually drive with the sun guard open but want the moonroof closed so I can keep the AC in. Also I am now regretting that I didn't take the NAV option! Does anyone know how I can go about getting one for my TL?

·
I am no one
14,751 Posts
acuratls said:
I have 2003 type s w/o nav... ever drive with the radio off and hear a lot of cabin noise? (almost like the seats are creaking). Very annoying but I was told to pay attention to the moonroof. If you close the inner sun shield or open the moonroof the noise dissapears. You can test this by pressing up on your moonroof's glass. Does anyone know of a fix for this? I usually drive with the sun guard open but want the moonroof closed so I can keep the AC in. Also I am now regretting that I didn't take the NAV option! Does anyone know how I can go about getting one for my TL?
take it to the dealer, that's your moonroof rattling, a known problem to almost all tl. they will fix it under warranty no question asked. if they are being anal, tell them to put in the anti-squeak tape around the whole sunroof, tell them it's known to all dealers already

well if you have the money you can always get anything, but if you want to do it reaonably, forget about getting the stock navi now, it would cost you more than you could imagine. you can get some aftermarket ones though. but i do't know much about it. post it in the visual forum and i am sure people will help you out :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have gotten the sunroof fix from Acura but still have a rattle. It almost seems like a clatter. It is really hard to tell were it's coming from. I remember somebody saying something about a seat belt that was making noise? One of the CL guys had a list of known issues w/our cars and doesn't seem to be any of those. It doesn't happen all the time only when you go over rippled pavement or something rough. Any ideas?

·
I am no one
14,751 Posts
1) seat belt latch. i put wd40 in and it never squeak anymore
2) seat back. i heard the springs inside is rubbing with metal. not on my car
3) sunroof. if you push UP on the sunroof it goes away. get the car to acura to fix it. they put the tape all around and it's gone

·
Registered
80 Posts
I already have the sun roof tape all around. That's what is so frustrating. Is there anything else besides the tape that goes with the sunroof fix?

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
On my CLS, they greased the mother-loving-hell out of it. I know this because it was damned difficult to get off, and all around the roof. :mad: The problem is that the rubber portion of the sunroof "slides" up and down against the inside portion of the roof - hence the squeaks. The tape does fix this - if not on yours, they should do it again IMO.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I appreciate your posts. The sound is not a squeak. It's like a rattle. If the tunes are up past conversation level you can't even hear it. It is really noticeable when the stereo is off.

·
Registered
24 Posts
daltls said:
I appreciate your posts. The sound is not a squeak. It's like a rattle. If the tunes are up past conversation level you can't even hear it. It is really noticeable when the stereo is off.
Dude,
I have had the same exact problem. You are correct that it is hard to find the exact cause but I have the answer. Next time you wash your car take a paper towel laced with some silicon spray and clean the rubber around the moon roof. This will require moving the roof to several positions to get the whole thing.

Anyway, you will be amazed at the black gunk that the rubber attracts(which causes the noise), that comes off. At least for me, each cleaning lasts about 3weeks and the whole process takes 2 minutes. I use "GUNK heavy duty Silicone Spray" and works great for all other rubber on the vehicle.

Another side benefit is if you run out of KY then you just run out to the garage real quick:boink: :D

Iggy

·
Registered
385 Posts
I had the good fortune of having an improperly sealed rear windshield glass making this intermittent but always annoying rattle. I've one of the few TL's that has this most rare rattling problem.

Of course, while they're fixing my glass and my broken tranny, they also destroy my front bumper somehow. So it's getting painted right now. Oh boy. what else can go wrong with these cars. sorry, but I'm venting...

·
Acuraworld Junior Member
82 Posts
daltls said:
I already have the sun roof tape all around. That's what is so frustrating. Is there anything else besides the tape that goes with the sunroof fix?
Where does the tape goes? On the rubber piece itself or around the edges of the car where the moonroof's rubber contacts? Also, can I just use electrical tape or something to do this. If not, where can I get some of these silicon tapes? I'd prefer black since mine is black. My moonroof rattles but I don't have time to bring it in for the dealer to take care of it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Mine rattles with the top up, down or cracked. Sounds like I got a set of golf clubs in the back but not as loud.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.