Acura World banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have own a 1988 Acura Legend for about 14 years now and have loved everything about it but as happens with aging cars repairs start to add up. However, even though some have advised me to get rid of it, I just have a hankering for restoring a vehicle that I have truly appreciated, but I am digressing from the problem here. The car has failed a smog test for the first time, the cause being ignition timing being off by 36 degrees. After having the timing belt checked and finding everything ok, two well rated mechanics have thrown their hands up in the air with no suggestion for the strategy for finding or fixing the problem. A week or two afterwards, the check engine light came on with code 14 which is the electronic idle control module. I was wondering if anyone who knows enough about Legends can tell me if that could effect a smog failure and if that might be the cause of an ignition timing being off. I have also had some phantom electronic problems with lights, horn and occasional alarm coming on by itself, the effect of which drains my battery so I have to remove the fuses overnight and put them back in. I have also had that problem looked at with no success from anyone who knows why or what to pursue. I don't know if that might effect sensors to give a false reading on a smog test. Engine seems to be running alright, although sometimes when idling engine sound goes up and down as well as takes longer to idle down when starting up cold. I am having to go regularly to DMV now to get moving passes until I can find out what's wrong, fix it and pass smog. Would appreciate anyone's input!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts