Acura World banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
can't trust wheel salesmen?

I'm in the market for 18" or maybe even 19" if they can give me a hassle free experience. So I go into a wheel shop today that seems pretty professional. A friend referred me there. So they show me these gorgeous Axis Hagan wheels and se7en (3pc look-a-like) wheels.

They tell me that I should not even consider 18"s, like it's a ridiculous idea. So they're pushing me to get the 19" Hagan, which actually looked really nice when they sat it right next to my stock wheels and allowed me to absorb the superior shine, stance, and size of those beautes. Now here's the interesting part....I told them that I was worried if they would rub since the TL has such a high offset. They told me no problem! They're sure of it! Heck, even if it had some trouble, they could mill off some of the wheel pad and make it fit. On top of that, they say that even though the stock rim has a high offset, you don't need as high an offset when you go with a wide rim. I'm quite doubtful at this point. I figure that shaving off part of the wheel could only compromise integrity. I get the impression I'm being lied to. They do offer me a fair price of $2000 for tires and rims total. but it steel reeks of fishiness.

I go home and look it up. Turns out that the Axis Hagan wheel is 19x8.0 with an offset of +35 the Seven mod wheel is 19x8 with +40. Now you tell me, is there any way that that wheel could fit on a TL?

Hagan

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
really? then the axis manufacturer website must be incorrect. That still sounds odd that it would work for a +45 offset cause I thought we need +50 offset for 19"s? hmm. maybe I should just let this shop give it a try if it can actually fit?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
here's a pic of the 3pc look-a-like SE7ENs which I think look nice. I really wonder if this would fit. only a +40 offset.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
yeah man if u trim the tab u'll probably be ok for the most part u might wanna roll ur fender but for 2 Gs rims and tires i'd jump on it if i were u, tell them to put em on ur car, go for a lil spin see if u rub.

·
Registered
615 Posts
offset is more related to width than diameter. if you go with 8" wide rims, don't go lower than 45 (rubbing usually) while most have been good with 50. a guy with a 2002 abp tl-s had the 19x8/45 sevens on his ride and i think he trimmed a little to remove most of the rubbing. he was on a-tl but i forgot his username.

can you tell us the shop name?!?!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, I may have been a little harsh. I may just give the shop a try anyhow and let them work their magic. They do a lot of business so they can't be all that bad. If the rims don't fit, then I just won't pay for em. I'll make that the condition of the purchase up front.

Really. The salesguys are kinda pushy, but they're not bad as long as you stand firm.

Performance Plus tire and automotive centers

15001 S. Western
Gardena, CA 90249
(310)-327-8320

Ask for Charlie, John, or Jason.

So which rim do you think looks better? The beauty of the Hagan doesn't show until you see it mounted on a car. It's gorgeous like that. Of course the SE7ENs are just nice any way you look at it.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
I saw a silver CL w/ metallic tint on 19 hagans yesterday chrome, I don't think he posts here but, let me say that thing was GEORGEOUS , the three piece sevens are phat too but a =40 is gonna be real low u would have to trim quite a bit if i were u i would go w/ Hagans.:beerchug:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.