Acura World banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just changed the timing belt on my son's 2003 3.2TL. After completing, I took it for a 3-4 mile drive. It ran rough while changing gears (auto trans.), so I took it home. It threw me a P0336 code and now will nor re-start. It will try to start...sputter, shake, and cough, but will not catch. What is going on here? It ran great before the service. Please help!

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
The bottom line is, my guess, that either the wires to the CKP (crankshaft position) sensor were disturbed and the sensor is either grounding or unplugged....or your timing belt is off a tooth. Remove the cover, and be sure that the timing marks line up properly.

But let's start with the easiest stuff first :)

First thing to do is to reset the PCM. Turn the ignition switch OFF, and remove the No.13 CLOCK BACKUP fuse (7.5A) (A) from the passenger's under-dash fuse/relay box (B) for 10 seconds.

After that, do an idle learn procedure:

1. Make sure all electrical items (A/C, audio, rear window defogger, lights, etc.,) are off.

2. Start the engine, and hold it at 3,000 rpm with no load (in Park or neutral) until the radiator fan comes on, or until the engine coolant temperature reaches 194ºF (90ºC).

3. Let the engine idle for about 5 minutes with the throttle fully closed.

NOTE: If the radiator fan comes on, do not include its running time in the 5 minutes.

If this fails, shut the engine off and disconnect the 2 pin plug on the crankshaft position sensor. The sensor should measure 1,850-2,450 ohms. Next, check for continuity between body ground and CKP sensor 2P connector terminals No. 1 and No. 2 individually. If there is, replace the sensor.

Next, check the wires from the CKP to the ECU by disconnecting the 31 pin connector at the ECU, and measuring for the same resistance as the CKP sensor. If not, repair the open or short in the wires.

Good luck! :)

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts