Acura World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I am no one
14,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ever since i lowered my car with comptech springs i still haven't re-leveling my hid. as you all know the cmptech springs give the car a rake look, which means my hid are not covering far enough...

i know i can tilt the hids up a bit by turning some screws.... however i read the manual and it says "it should be done professonally.... bring it to acura....." oh well, i figure i can ask all the professionals here :)

1) can someone pinpoint the "screws" or whatever that i turn to re-level the hids? pics would be highly appreciated. i look at the back of the headlight housing and i don't seem to see anything @[email protected]

2) comparing the driver side and the passenger side, the driver side is very tight, meaning i don't see a lot of space behind the headlight at all. it seems i will have to remove the stuff behind the headlight in order to do anything. is that true? if so how to do it??

i really wanna re-level my hid. after lowering by 2 inches and the rake look, my hids are not shining enough area at night..... a bit no no.... wanna change it back to the old days :)

thanks guys. i posted it on a-tl site the night before it shut down..... and ever since i couldn't search my threads anymore..... so sorry if someone has answered it :)

·
Yuck Foo
2,589 Posts
The adjustment screws are located on the top of the light housing. It isn't behind the light. Take a closer look at the top of the headlights. I think you should be looking for a hex or allen key looking thing to turn for adjustment. I'll take a look tomorrow and let you know for sure.

:D

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
On my CLS, I had to take the plastic cover off of the engine to do so. Here is a pic (apologies for the size) of the correct plastic "tabs" you have to remove to get at the adjustment screws:

And here's a pic (again of the CL) of the markings on the plastic that show where the adjustments are below it:

Again, you have to remove that cover to get to the screws easily. The center arrow is just the hood rest - ignore it.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Don't let AHMC scare you into giving their dealer some revenue. ;)

The possible reason for the disclaimer is due to NHTSA rules for spread height. Basically, they are supposed to use a pattern template to aim your HID's.......but dollars to donuts they don't. :rolleyes:

Here's a rule of thumb:

1) Find a wall (should be easy)
2) face the car perpendicular to a distance of roughly 20 ft (6.0m for you Canucks)
3) Adjust vertical to est. 36" (touch less than 1m for those who love Labatts)
4) lateral s/b roughly 4 feet apart from the center (most Intense) part of the pattern

Hope this helps. ;)

·
I am no one
14,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cool!!!! thanks guys. will try to find some time to work on it this weekend :)

·
Premium Member
7,318 Posts
SidVicious said:
The adjustment screws are located on the top of the light housing. It isn't behind the light. Take a closer look at the top of the headlights. I think you should be looking for a hex or allen key looking thing to turn for adjustment. I'll take a look tomorrow and let you know for sure.

:D
I can't speak for other models, but on the '02 TL-S the up/down adjustment screw *is* located behind the light, not on the top. The markings showing you which way to turn the screw to go up or down is on the top plastic that covers the whole front, but the screw/bolt assembly is on the back of the light, pretty much in the center. You can adjust it either with a socket (10MM IIRC) or a Phillps screwdriver with a long, skinny shaft. If you use the screwdriver you actually come in from the top because the opening on the toothgear is on the side of the assembly. In other words, if you stand in front of your car facing the engine, the adjustment hole for the passenger side light is at about 2 o'clock (if you imagined the toothgear as clock) and the hole on the driver's side light is is at about 10 o'clock. Passenger side one is simple because there is nothing in the way of the bolt. Driver's side is a little tougher to get at because of the coolant reservoir.

I've yet to have to adjust them side-to-side so I cannot speak about that procedure.

·
I am no one
14,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pianoman41 said:

I can't speak for other models, but on the '02 TL-S the up/down adjustment screw *is* located behind the light, not on the top. The markings showing you which way to turn the screw to go up or down is on the top plastic that covers the whole front, but the screw/bolt assembly is on the back of the light, pretty much in the center. You can adjust it either with a socket (10MM IIRC) or a Phillps screwdriver with a long, skinny shaft. If you use the screwdriver you actually come in from the top because the opening on the toothgear is on the side of the assembly. In other words, if you stand in front of your car facing the engine, the adjustment hole for the passenger side light is at about 2 o'clock (if you imagined the toothgear as clock) and the hole on the driver's side light is is at about 10 o'clock. Passenger side one is simple because there is nothing in the way of the bolt. Driver's side is a little tougher to get at because of the coolant reservoir.

I've yet to have to adjust them side-to-side so I cannot speak about that procedure.
oh thanks for the info!!!!!! i didn't get a chance to work on my car this past weekend but hopefully this wekend i can do it. it doesn't sound to be too hard

·
Yuck Foo
2,589 Posts
pianoman41 said:

Matt... thanks for the correction. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts