Acura World banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, my check engine popped up this morning. Took it to Auto Zone they ran the code scanner and got back the following.
61-1 battery , 68-1 brake switch failure and P2243. The P2243 is the Oxygen sensor correct? The 61-1, this can be from the battery to the alternator? Can anyone help me out by giving me some clues on where these are and how to replace them so i can replace them please.

My car is a 2004 Acura TL. 3.2

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
DTC 61, 62: High/Low +B-FSR Voltage (VSA related)

This does relate to the battery or charging system. Check the voltage on the battery cold, then start the car and check the battery voltage then. Report your findings here, and we'll see where you're at.

I wouldn't worry about the rest of the codes until that one is figured out. Low voltages can cause a lot of odd things to happen. Let's start there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked the battery voltage at cold start and it was at 12.50 Volts, i turned the car on and it was at 14.23 volts, with the car on and with radio, wipers, lights, etc it was at 14.14 volts.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
A reading of 12.5 volts is low. Have your battery checked at Advanced Auto, they have this great new machine that can tell the exact life of the battery you have. And it's free to do it. I just had to have mine checked recently by them...I figured it would be an old fashioned battery load tester, but this one was much much different.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
What is the normal battery voltage it should be? I thought it was 12.40t - 12.80v. I just replaced this battery last year, barely over a year. If it's bad would 12.5 v be low enough for them to exchange it?

is the 14.23 ok when the car is on?

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
It's more complicated than just voltage, but this is a good indicator. You need to have the battery tested to see if there is a drain on the battery itself, or a defect within.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
The 12.5V you've got now is a good indicator that the battery itself may be bad. Usually at rest, a battery will register around 13.2 V or higher. But, we don't know if you might have a draw causing this. That's why the load test is important. With modern testers, the battery doesn't even have to have a 100% full charge to get that info.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok, so i had the battery check and it was bad. I got a new one and everything seemed fine on the way home. Next morning half way to work, engine and air bag came on. I stopped by Autozone and the same codes came up they checked the battery and it's at 12.75 volt on off.

So I am going to replace the parts.
The P2243 is the Oxygen sensor, but which one? diagram and how to replace it would be nice please

the 61-1 61-1 open circuited In Driver Seat Belt Buckle Switch is going to be check and hopefully replaced by my local Acura dealer.

The 68-1 brake switch failure, where is the switch so i can replace it. A diagram would be great please.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
P2243 is bank 1, sensor 1. That equates to the first sensor on the rear manifold. There really aren't any instructions for doing the job, you just need an oxygen sensor socket and a ratchet....

Before you replace the brake switch, check the clearance just to be sure. Here's a how-to...

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was trying to find a DIY on how to replace the P2243 is bank 1, sensor 1. I found one but according to the write up it's gave a P2243 check engine code.
Are they showing different codes because mine is a 2004 Acura TL and the one on the DIY is 2005 Acura TL?

This is the same oxygen sensor correct?

The one on the top right (Rear Air Fuel Ratio (A/F) sensor (Bank 1, Sensor1)) is the oxygen sensor i need to replace correct according the diagram i have attached? Do you know the OEM part number?

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is the 36531-RCA-A02 LAF Sensor or is the 36531-RDM-A01 SENSOR, FR. LAF?
I looked for the 02 sensor last night and i found one in the front of the engine and one on the top back of the engine by the fire wall. Is the one on the back of the engine Bank1, sensor 1? Anyone, i would like to get this fixed before it causes any other issues.

Thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
DTC P2251: Rear A/F Sensor (Bank 1, Sensor 1) VS Circuit High Voltage (2004-2005 models)

If it applies to the same sensor, the same procedure is followed.

Front bank is bank 2. Rear bank is bank 1. I have 36531-RCA-A02 / SENSOR, LAF

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So the same sensor can throw different codes like P2243 & P2551 on the same sensor? either one of these indicates that the sensor Bank 1, sensor 1 needs to be replaced?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.