Acura World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum so this is my first post.

I own a 2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type S.

My transmission went out on me in December, left me stranded on the freeway. I had to get it towed since the car would just rev and not go anywhere.

I recently had my transmission rebuilt the beginning of January and it was running fine right when I got it but after traveling more than 15 miles, I noticed the check engine light coming on again. I have 1 year warranty on my rebuilt transmission so I brought it back to the mechanic and he worked on it. I got it back and it happened again, check engine light keeps coming back on after 10-15 miles. I kept bringing it back to the mechanic and it keeps happening. He claims that it was an electrical problem at first, then a solenoid problem, and now today it might be a torque converter problem so he'll have to take out the transmission and fix it. The mechanic is changing shop locations so he won't be able to fix it for the next two weeks, so I was wondering if I can drive my car for that long. Will it last?

The mechanic is trustworthy and honest, he's fixed most of my family's cars and he has good reviews on yelp as well so I really doubt he's trying to mess with me and be shady.

Problems with the car that I've noticed compared to when my car was perfectly fine:

1. The gas pedal is a lot harder to press on, sensitive now.. more than before. Especially when it's cold, but as the car gets warmer it gets a little easier.

2. When it shifts to 2nd gear, sometimes I would notice a little jerk. It's not a big jerk like before when my transmission failed on me.

My main question is, will I be able to drive the car with a torque converter problem. Since that's what my mechanic said. He claims to have fixed the electrical problem of the transmission. If I am able to drive the car, how far can I drive it? What should I expect and what should I be ready for. I just need to drive it for the 2 weeks so that he can fix it once he finishes moving to his new location.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
I recently had my transmission rebuilt the beginning of January and it was running fine right when I got it but after traveling more than 15 miles, I noticed the check engine light coming on again.
Welcome to AcuraWorld! :)

The key to the whole thing is the statement above. What codes were pulled? This will be vital to know in order to be of further assistance here.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply!

The mechanic really didn't mention the codes but he just says that it's a torque converter problem and after a week when he switches locations, he's going to work on it.

My question is, will I be able to drive my car for the week with the TC problem after the rebuild? What should I expect? I'm not that really good with cars :(

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
It's really hard for me to say, without more information. I don't have much to go on. If it was my car, I'd probably drive it and hope for the best....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts