Acura World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys, i have read tons of posts about this, many close to my prob but not right on. i will try and give all info i can.

my cl is overheating after a long run when i come to a stop or sit in traffic. both fans come on when ac is on. i have replaced thermo and cap, flushed and bled the air from the system, but it still overheats. i did use a 50/50 fill too. I have used a jump wire on the switch by the thermo housing and both fans immediatly kicked on, but nothing happens when i use the jump wire on the other switch at the top of the radiator hose. when just warmimg up at idle the main radiator fan never comes on, not unless i turn the ac on.

if im at a stop, i can put it in neutral and rev the motor, the engine temp goes down immediatly. if i dont use the ac, it never overheats. this is confusing cause when ac is on both fans are working the whole time! even after i turn off the car the ac fan still comes on and cools.

is my water pump going out? it was changed with the timing belt about 35k ago. both fans DO work, no air in system, new cap, new thermo.....??

any help would be appreciated. i know its 105 here in dallas right now, but it does it at night when its cooler too. and only overheats after say maybe 25 mile drive.

thank you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would maybe try another thermostat as it almost sounds like it is sticking. Only when you rev does it release coolant and bring down your temp. Also, maybe the water pump is somehow lagging until a rev. However, I think the water pump would bring the temp down slower.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Make sure that your timing is correct. A car that's slightly out of time will raise engine temperature. I would doubt that the thermostat or water pump is suspect.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts