Acura World banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
NO AMG, NO CARE
10,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if a stock vs. stock auto CL-S took on a manny E36 ///M3 (previous gen), who would win?

I'm guessing that out of ten runs, the CL-S would take 5, the ///M3 would take 5? Depends on the driver I guess?

·
NO AMG, NO CARE
10,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheez5000 said:
i think yur lookin for a spankin ;) cant mess with the germans! M POWER fa sho!!!
I uh...meant it hypothetically! hehehe....

·
Registered
422 Posts
That damn FWD would waste a bunch of time during the launch. Then, to boot, the lighter weight if the E36 nearly the same HP, would prove a close match to the marginal power edge of the heavier CL/J32A2. :(

If our car was AWD or RWD, the weight & transfer issue would be moot.

BTW, is it me or does BMW have the strongest horses in the HP stable? It always seems those damn Germans can post same or better perf #'s with less HP. :mad:

Oh well. ;)

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
Satin said:
That damn FWD would waste a bunch of time during the launch. Then, to boot, the lighter weight if the E36 nearly the same HP, would prove a close match to the marginal power edge of the heavier CL/J32A2. :(

If our car was AWD or RWD, the weight & transfer issue would be moot.

BTW, is it me or does BMW have the strongest horses in the HP stable? It always seems those damn Germans can post same or better perf #'s with less HP. :mad:

Oh well. ;)
Hmm - do you think their #s are BS or their drivetrain effeciency is just that much better?

0-60 times are so dependent on the driver, it doesn't matter a whole lot to me. Handling is where it's at - especially at the edge. The LSD in the 6MT brings a lot of credibility to the CL's handling, but it's still a 60-40 weight biased car, AND it's quite obese at 3500 lbs.

However - the CL is larger not only in weight but size. The rear seat space is much bigger than the 3-series, and the trunk is larger to boot.

The Acura dealer I bought my TL from was telling me how he had younger couples who had just gotten a 3-series getting TLs because the baby seat didn't fit in the 3-series.

·
Acuraworld Veteran
1,108 Posts
Hi the performance expert is in
the E36 M3 which would be late 80s early 90s maybe. They run upper 6s to low 7s to 60mph and the quarter mile on those cars is low to mid 15s so stock vs. stock the CLS would take it in every aspect. But it is very easy to do just a little work to those M3's and have them running real quick.

·
Registered
619 Posts
pgatour1 said:
Hi the performance expert is in
the E36 M3 which would be late 80s early 90s maybe. They run upper 6s to low 7s to 60mph and the quarter mile on those cars is low to mid 15s so stock vs. stock the CLS would take it in every aspect. But it is very easy to do just a little work to those M3's and have them running real quick.
huh? I thought e36 m3's were from 95 and later?

·
Registered
14,297 Posts
It all depends on the driver in the M3, i raced on but the driver sucked and i beat him. But now if he knew how to shift, i think he would have me beat.

But i dont think we would get smoked. :)

·
That is all.....
5,936 Posts
Stock for stock the cl-s would win. Especially the 95-00 m3 us specs. Now if you raced a imported euro spec m3, hands down the m3. Remember the new m3 are the same euro or us, but the last gen(E36) the us spec got jipped on hp factor...

·
Acuraworld Veteran
1,108 Posts
Oh Dudes I fucked up that is so my fault.
The 95 and up which is the E36 runs the 60 mph in mid 5s stock. So a decent driver vs. CLS the M3 woudl win. I would most likely always put my money on the BMW there cause if you mess up just a little in the M3 it will still take the CLS. My bad. well at elast now you got some info on the E30s

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
You guys are cracking me up...hahaha

E36 = '95 - '99 M3s

The manuals run to 60MPH in 5.4/5.5 seconds. They run the 1/4 stock at 14 flat @ 99MPH (I've done 14.1 best w/ my stock E36 M3).

Out of 10 runs, the CLS would lose each and every one. Ask Spiroh ;) (hey where you at bro?)

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
evolaerok said:
Stock for stock the cl-s would win. Especially the 95-00 m3 us specs. Now if you raced a imported euro spec m3, hands down the m3. Remember the new m3 are the same euro or us, but the last gen(E36) the us spec got jipped on hp factor...
New E46 (2001+) US Spec M3s here are 10HP less than their euro counterparts.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
vince said:

Yup, Anthony has become confused (again :p). The early 80's-mid 90's M3s were E30 models, with four cylinder engines (aka "the purist's M3"). E36 was 95-2000 (?)
E30 M3s are from 1987 - 1991. They are 4 bangers but can waste the E36s at the track. Yes, they are considered by many to be the 'true' M3s.

·
Registered
14,297 Posts
Driven said:

E36 = '95 - '99 M3s

The manuals run to 60MPH in 5.4/5.5 seconds. They run the 1/4 stock at 14 flat @ 99MPH (I've done 14.1 best w/ my stock E36 M3).

Out of 10 runs, the CLS would lose each and every one. Ask Spiroh ;) (hey where you at bro?)
its tru :stupid:

·
Acuraworld Veteran
1,108 Posts
Driven said:

E36 = '95 - '99 M3s

Punk I believe i already stated that in my correction post. :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yeah, driven is correct. The E36 would win because they have a tad more WHP and better gearing. However, if you took a modded 5EAT v. stock e36 the race would be closer although the m3 would still win because of the gearing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.