Acura World banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hmmm....just realized that i have had my AEM CAI on for 20,000 miles. is it time to clean it or what?

·
Yuck Foo
2,589 Posts
djkojione said:
hmmm....just realized that i have had my AEM CAI on for 20,000 miles. is it time to clean it or what?
It is probably due for a cleaning. It can't hurt to clean it too early. :D

K&N recommends to clean your filter at "regularly scheduled intervals" depending on your driving conditions. Since this is on your car that probably isn't off-roaded, I would think that doing the actual wash/re-oiling process once a year would be sufficient. In between those yearly re-oilings, you can tap the filter on the ground to loosen any lodged particles and even apply a light spray of oil to make sure the filter is not dried out.

·
I am no one
14,751 Posts
Re: Re: Cleaning your K&N air filter

SidVicious said:

It is probably due for a cleaning. It can't hurt to clean it too early. :D

K&N recommends to clean your filter at "regularly scheduled intervals" depending on your driving conditions. Since this is on your car that probably isn't off-roaded, I would think that doing the actual wash/re-oiling process once a year would be sufficient. In between those yearly re-oilings, you can tap the filter on the ground to loosen any lodged particles and even apply a light spray of oil to make sure the filter is not dried out.
i have always wonder, say i got the aem cai.... i know i will have to clean my filter.... however, how? i mean, i will have to take off my bumper to just clean the filter? that seems to be really troublesome......

·
That is all.....
5,936 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Cleaning your K&N air filter

rominl said:

i have always wonder, say i got the aem cai.... i know i will have to clean my filter.... however, how? i mean, i will have to take off my bumper to just clean the filter? that seems to be really troublesome......
No you don't have to take off the front bumper... There is trim piece under the car at the bumper, just unscrew a few and you should be able too pull at it enough to make an opening for just the filter.

·
I am no one
14,751 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Cleaning your K&N air filter

evolaerok said:

No you don't have to take off the front bumper... There is trim piece under the car at the bumper, just unscrew a few and you should be able too pull at it enough to make an opening for just the filter.
ah ic, now that sounds much better. so you usually change or clean the filter yourself or let the shop do it? since you have to jack up the car it isn't that easy anymore

·
That is all.....
5,936 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Cleaning your K&N air filter

rominl said:

ah ic, now that sounds much better. so you usually change or clean the filter yourself or let the shop do it? since you have to jack up the car it isn't that easy anymore
I do it myself in my driveway. Go to pep boys or any auto parts store and they have a k&n filter cleaning kit. I forgot how much I paid, I think I paid 24.99 it includes the cleaning solution and the lubricant... I just jack it up a little, not much is needed then do the process I mentioned above...

·
Registered
385 Posts
I bought the K&N filter cleaning kit. I think it cost like $12 or so. Anyhow, the instructions that came with it say that you don't need to clean the filter till like 30k or 50k miles or some really long interval like that! I was surprised. It also said that it's ok to leave the filter dirty until cleaning is needed. It claims that a mildly dirty filter actually does a better job of filtering than a brand new cleaned one. :dunno:

So I really don't know when's the best time to clean my filter. I've probably got 15k miles on it already and felt that it might be time for a change, but shouldn't the folks at K&N know better?

·
Yuck Foo
2,589 Posts
Bebber said:
I bought the K&N filter cleaning kit. I think it cost like $12 or so. Anyhow, the instructions that came with it say that you don't need to clean the filter till like 30k or 50k miles or some really long interval like that! I was surprised. It also said that it's ok to leave the filter dirty until cleaning is needed. It claims that a mildly dirty filter actually does a better job of filtering than a brand new cleaned one. :dunno:

So I really don't know when's the best time to clean my filter. I've probably got 15k miles on it already and felt that it might be time for a change, but shouldn't the folks at K&N know better?
I would think that 30K is okay if you were using an OEM replacement filter that isn't directly exposed to the elements. The cone filter that goes on the end of the CAI gets dirty faster, so I would guess that to maximize performance, you should clean it a little more frequently than 30K.

Either way, you aren't going to hurt anything. Do whatever your gut tells you when you look at the filter. Does it look like air can pass through fairly easily? If not, then maybe it's time for a good cleaning.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.