Acura World banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My relatively-new-to-me 2010 RDX Tech is great. However, now that the temps are in the -30 range I've noticed a few problems. Possibly these are known issues and nothing much to worry about, so feedback is welcomed.

1. Nav screen is far too dim to view, in day or night mode, when really cold. Can't see a map, audio info, etc, for at least 5 - 10 minutes after startup. More annoying, and potentially dangerous, is the inability to see behind me with the rearview camera.

2. When it's REALLY cold the suspension bangs and clanks over the slightest bump. It works itself out after several miles, but it's disconcerting at first to say the least. I've ridden in wheelbarrows with smoother suspensions.

3. The orange (not red) brake light comes on with the first drive after 6+ hours of sitting in the cold. If I drive it again a few hours later it usually won't come on.

4. The rear hatch won't stay up. Probably the shocks getting weak after 12 years, and not just an Acura problem, I had similar with my last vehicle also (2010 Equinox).

Does anyone else have similar problems . . . and potential fixes?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I had an 08 RDX tech I just handed down to my daughter a few years ago. Temps don't get that low in southwest. The closest I've came was on a ski trip with temps starting in the -7 degree F in the morning and mid 20s F by afternoon (elevation 7000-10,000 feet). The RDX was kept outside during the 2012 ski trip.

- I had similar issues with the navi screen looking dim, purple-ish, and slow to respond. It didn't really get back to normal until the cabin warmed up.

- It took the cabin a really long time to warm up. It was around 25 miles to ski resort and it felt like it took 1/2 that time for the RDX to start pumping heat into the cabin. This was after I started the RDX at the hotel to let it warm up.

- It got a similar brake warning. I can't recall what color the dash warning; but, I did get a message on the navi about the brake system error. Took it to Acura and they said it was faulty Brake Booster Sensor (46401-STK-A01, $330 to fix).

- I had a lowered suspension on Eibach springs, OEM struts/shocks, and Progress RSB. I probably had the same bottoming out issue; but, don't think it was to the same extreme with around 60,000 miles on the RDX at the time.

- No issues with rear hatch struts at -7 degrees in 2012. The rear hatch struts are still working today the last time my daughter came to visit for the Xmas holidays. I imagine they wouldn't hold up in below 0 degree temps after +14 years now.

- I had TPMS warning because of extremely cold temps. The warning went away once the temps were closer to 32 degrees F. I added more air in the tires to account for -7 degree morning temps.

I don't remember any other problems I had with the powertrain or electronics at those temps. The only solution would be to keep the RDX in an above freezing garage to avoid all those issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great info mrgold35 . . . thanks for the reply. Anyone else with a Gen1 dealing with -35 temps?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts