Acura World banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I am no one
14,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so after driving both the GS400/430 and the TL-S, this is my short review.

the look of the cars is definitely personal opinion. to me both cars are in totally different style. when you see the TL-S you got a big feeling that this is a japanese car. on the other hand the GS is much more beefy than the TL-S, and in my opinion lexus is trying to go the european route on car styling. between the two cars, i would say the TL-S looks more conservative, but the GS would stand out a bit. keep in mind, the GS is actually 3 inches shorter than the TL-S

quite frankly the interior is incomparable. the GS is in another league. the leather used in the GS is much better than that in the TL-S. don't take me wrong, the ones in the TL-S are very good too, but lexus just uses even better ones. the quality of the interior is awesome. i particular like the dash area, very clean design, and the dash only lights up when you start the car, beautiful. it has dual zone climate control and that's very nice too.

now it's driving experience. if you talk about speed and performance, there is no doubt the GS wins. it's purely fast. going from 0-60 i can feel that it's much faster and smoother than the TL-S, and now with this massive V8, going from 100 to 120 takes no time too. this thing is powerful.

i have to say that the GS has one of the smoothest transimision i have ever tried. when it's in auto mode, it shifts smoothly and you don't even feel it. even when you are flooring it you still don't feel jerky when shifting. if you put it in manual mode, it's still doing the job. when you press up, it shifts immediately, not like the delay in the TL-S. and when you shift down, even at quitet high rpm, you don't get excessive engine braking. in short it's a beautiful tranny. and the sport shift system is only available in GS400, GS430 doesn't have this thing anymore.

when it come to road noise, the GS wins again. i don't know how that review some time ago says that the TL-S win by having the least noise at 70mph...... the lexus is purely quiet, and you dont' hear anything at all. even at 100mph you don't get to hear much, not even wind noise, whereas for the TL-S at 100mph you hear quite a bit.

now handling is what i was disappointed. the GS doesn't really handle well, when i turn there are quite a bit of body roll compared to the TL-S. Yes my TL-S is modded with sway bars but even at stock the GS is not as good. the sways could be part of the reasons but i think the lack of a stock upper tie bar is what kills the handling on the GS. i was shocked when i noticed that. but i have heard that with sways and a upper tie bar the handling quickly comes back.

all in all, i think the GS is worth the 50k+ price tag. for the value i think the TL-S still win, but with the money, you do get every extra on the GS.

BTW, yes, I am a new owner of a 98 GS 400 :)

·
I am no one
14,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1SICKLEX said:
That was one beautiful post. Show em a pic of your new baby.:cool:
haha it's all over the place. i posted it on CL, the gallery forum, and also in lounge :) keep in mind it's still stock

and hehe, thanks for the compliment. now you know i wanna get the STB badly :) is it really hard to get the TRD STB?

·
Token Lexus Guy
1,474 Posts
Nope, SUPRATRD on CL (Steve Ganz) can get u one for under $200. Tell him 1SICKLEX sent ya. You may have to jack the car up to install it but it makes a great early mod.

·
I am no one
14,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1SICKLEX said:
Nope, SUPRATRD on CL (Steve Ganz) can get u one for under $200. Tell him 1SICKLEX sent ya. You may have to jack the car up to install it but it makes a great early mod.
wow even under 200? he lists the price as 220 on the l-tunedparts.com. so i should refer you all the time to get all discounts huh? i like mods that i can put on myself :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.