Acura World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay first off the dealer wants $450 to install my springs and align if needed. That seems outrageous to me, is it?

I'm thinking it is and was talking to my friend to see if we could use his dad's shop. His dad's the chief mechanic for one of the local fire districts. I'm fairly good with my hands and mechanically inclined.... I mean I know what a "clicky turny thing" is and all. :D

So given that we can get the shop what things do I need to be aware about on the spring install. I've read through the post of acura-tl.com about installing the springs and it seems rather straight forward...time consuming, but straight forward. I remember reading a post with something about bump stops but I don't remember if that was with comptech springs or not.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brenden

Oh yeah, thanks for the warm welcomes.

·
Moderator?
9,790 Posts
Isn't there some tool you need to compress the springs to attach them to the shocks? I bet it would be pretty hard to do the job without it. Shawn S had a pic of it in use.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Spring Compressor

mdaniel:

I've got access to the spring compressor. Thats what Shawn S had a picture of.

·
NO AMG, NO CARE
10,481 Posts
$450 to install springs is ridiculous. I found a place to do mine for only $150 w/ alignment. Shop around and ask around. You shouldn't pay more than 200-250 for install/alignment. Alignment is VERY important.

·
baby polar bear
1,755 Posts
I got mine done with a hookup from nootch for like $125 or so. But then the place that did my alignment afterwards fucked it up so bad that my tires wore way too damn fast :(

So I agree with Iridium that an alignment is very important. I have since had another alignment to get things back in order and have new tires as well.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
WI CLTypeS said:
Okay first off the dealer wants $450 to install my springs and align if needed. That seems outrageous to me, is it?.
:eek: Your getting raped bro!!! 100-150 for the install and another 50 for the alignment AFTER the springs have settled........

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Handyman time

Well it looks like it's going to be a do it myself job. I can get acess to the spring compressor thats been confirmed.

So far the cheapest I found was $125 BUT that was only if I also bought the springs from them otherwise they wouldn't do it.

My own Acura dealer want $515 PLUS more for the alignment later on. :sqnteek: Don't think so!

Any last words or hints before I kill myself?

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Re: Handyman time

WI CLTypeS said:
Any last words or hints before I kill myself?
yeah good luck, u got life insurance? Seriously though, its not that hard. :D BTW, not sure if they got an Autozone in your area, but any special tool u need (like the spring compressor) can be borrowed there for FREE (leave a deposit, use it, return, and get deposit back) :thumbsup:

·
Registered
737 Posts
dude 160 is what i payed fo tha drop and im getting alignment for it tomorrow for 50...screw dealerships cuz they try to get mad cheeze for getting their dumbass mechanics to work on your car...its all about who you know and trust with mechanics and pro shops...if you trust tha dealer then get ready for a quick :butt: fuck:jackass:...Shyne

1 - 11 of 11 Posts