Acura World banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I have to place an order for tires, and confused on the size. I have a 99 TL, but with the 2002 TL 16 inch OEM rims. The stock tire size for these rims are 205/60/16.

My question is can I fit the 225/55/16 without any rubbing?

Has anyone done this and if so, was there any rubbing? I am getting conflicting reports, people at tirerack say's there would be some rubbing and people at www.tires.com say there would be no issues.

Need this cleared up ASAP as I need to order tires by the end of this week.

Thanks
Drew

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
I would say go for it. MY experience is as follows:

On my 01 CLS, I had stock tires, 205/50-17. I hated the all-seasons and wanted a more aggressive, summer-only tire. Enter the Kumho, but it is only available in a 45 series tire. So I got 225/45-17. No rubbing, and looks just like the stock size, and is only 1-2% different on the odometer.

Rubbing problems generally occur when you go with a wider rim than stock, and drop the car (read: slammed) significantly. The small size you are changing shouldn't be a problem. Check this thread out by Edub:

http://www.acuraworld.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1805&highlight=tire+calc

·
Registered
41 Posts
drewtl4 said:
Guys,

I have to place an order for tires, and confused on the size. I have a 99 TL, but with the 2002 TL 16 inch OEM rims. The stock tire size for these rims are 205/60/16.

My question is can I fit the 225/55/16 without any rubbing?

Has anyone done this and if so, was there any rubbing? I am getting conflicting reports, people at tirerack say's there would be some rubbing and people at www.tires.com say there would be no issues.

Need this cleared up ASAP as I need to order tires by the end of this week.

Thanks
Drew

Stock rims are +55 offset, so going 225/55/16 is ok.

225/55/16 = 25.74 in diameter
205/60/16 = 25.68 in diameter

What this means is that your odometer will run a little bit slower, meaning when your traveling at 60 mph, your actually going maybe 59.8 mph or so. You can even go with 225/60/16 if you like, this way your car won't have a big gap between the fender and the tires like a 4x4.

;)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfornately, the Kumho MX does not come in the 225/55/16 size.

I have pretty much narrowed my choices to first preference being the yoko DB's and 2nd preference being the Toyo FZ4. There is about a $10 difference per tire.

My only other concern is which size to get.

225/55/16

or

225/60/16

I searched around and found out most of the guys you have the stock rims went to the 225/55/16. Almost no one has gone 225/60/16.

I dont get it, would you want to close the gap between the fenders, so why not go with a slightly higher stance tire and get teh 225/60/16.

Need to order these tires by today, so any feedback from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Drew

·
Registered
80 Posts
Sorry didn't see the 16 thing. My friend has an S2000 and he's kinda pissed because of the limited 16" MX sizes as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.