Acura World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work at an auto repair shop and my boss pulled in a 96 Acura TL 2.5 l today. A little back story.

A customer called me yesterday saying they had an acura that they wanted to sell. They knew nothing about it with the exception that it was their mothers car. She had parked it then moved away. We were told it would start with a battery, but we towed it in anyway. After having this conversation, I proposed fair trading my 97 dodge ram 1500 with a bad tranny for it. He accepted, IF I thought the car was worth it and would be satisfied with the trade.

So. We tow the car in, put a battery on it, no start. Clean the negative terminal and the car immediately started up with no hesitation. Keep in mind, this car has been sitting for a minimum of three years. I drove it across the street to our other location to have my boyfriend take a closer look.

Besides some cosmetic damage, it seems like a pretty good car. All electronic components seem to be working, no knock, no immediately noticed leaks. For sitting as long as it had, everyone was thoroughly impressed. It has 160k miles. My truck needs a new transmission, tires, front suspension components, has a failing power steering pump, fuel gauge doesn't work... Need I go on?

Basically in a nutshell, I'm asking for opinions on this vehicle. It seems like a good deal, and I'm anxious to get started on it. But I don't want to be TOO hasty. So, does anyone own a 96 Acura TL 2.5l? Love it or hate it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
The 2.5TL was a great car when it was new, and it's still a great car, but there's a few things to examine before making it into a daily driver....primarily, the radiator. The plastic end tanks tend to crack on them, so make sure you examine it closely. I wouldn't do any long distance driving with the car until you've put about 500 miles on it with local trips.

Other than that, are sensor failures which are endemic to every vehicle. Make sure you give it a full tune up, and change the transmission fluid. Use ONLY Acura ATF-DW1, no matter what anyone tells you about any other fluid. Listen to the voice of experience here....I was working for Acura when that car first came out ;)

I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for the 2.5TL, I was the first person at our dealership to get to drive one. Fell in love the moment I sat inside. Good luck, and let us know if you have any questions :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I recently aquired a 98 2.5 TL with a broken timing belt. If you don't know when yours was changed.....CHANGE IT. Even if you don't want to do the water pump ($100) change the belt ($38). Then enjoy driving one of the finest built cars on the road.
Brad

1 - 3 of 3 Posts