Acura World banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here, I have an 01 acura mdx with a 3.5 AWD. I bought the car for 400 and it is mixing coolant with oil. I did a compression test and it read on 3 cylinders 180ish and on the other three it read 220. I took the heads off and had them checked at a machine shop and they were not cracked. Also the head gaskets didnt have any burn spots in them. The previous owner said it had over heated due to a failed old water pump. I also looked at the transmission lines because from what I hear the mdx is notorious for tranny lines leaking in radiator. That was all good. Could the heads maybe warped that bad from the over heating? What else could be the issue? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
31 Posts
All of my cars are sticks but i've heard before with an automatic, that if you pop the rad cap while its cool put it in drive, hold the brakes so you dont move and give it gas that the pressure from the leak will make the rad start to overflow. but ive never been able to test this theory

·
Registered
24 Posts
re: $400

dude, is there any clue as to why the car cost $400? (thanks Honda).

If you are serious about making this car run reliably, go pay a reputable mechanic to give you the bad news. Be generous.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Almost a sure thing a head is warped. I'd be very concerned that it also has ruined pistons and rings. If you ran it long on the milkshake oil, the cam and bearings are ruined too.

Doubt this is inexpensively fixable. if you want to fix the car, swap a boneyard engine into it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
They lost that Japanese quality culture. Esp with the models released after the 2008 market crash.

They started chasing profitability with a number of badly designed product families. They seem to be fight back now. I'm hopeful.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.