Acura World banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 TL base model. Last week my car started to overheat while driving so I stopped off to buy coolant (Prestone 50/50) and when I went to check the reservoir I noticed the top part of the cap was cracked and was leaking fluid. So I topped it off and took it to Acura and they replaced the cap and the hoses on each end. They didn't refill the coolant that leaked out on the way to Acura so I did. That was 4 days ago but I've been checking my coolant levels everyday and have noticed that it is always low so I top it off every morning. There are no leaks that I can see or any burning smells and the car drives perfectly fine. Does anyone have any ideas what the issue could be? Could it be because I'm not using OEM coolant and that the Prestone 50/50 is burning away?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I would double-check around possible leak points like water pump, hoses, heater core, around radiator cap, top/bottom of radiator, and overflow reservoir bottle. I had an issue with my 06 TSX with the faulty reservoir bottle hose sucking in air instead of the coolant. It lowered my coolant level and all the air bubbles ended up in the heater core and I didn't have cabin heat.

Another issue I had with my 06 TSX was the condenser/radiator fans were not turning fast enough causing the TSX to get very hot at city speeds. The engine temp would go down at hwy speeds. On my 08 RDX, I've had the issue of hairline cracks in the lower part of the plastic part of radiator causing a drop in fluid. I also had to replace my radiator cap because is wasn't sealing tight enough and causing the anti-freeze to evaporate from the cap.

The worst possible scenario is checking your oil to make sure it isn't milky in color. You can sometimes have white smoke out the exhaust with an anti-freeze smell if you have coolant getting into the cylinder(s).

·
Registered
2022 Acura MDX advance
5 Posts
I have a 2007 TL base model. Last week my car started to overheat while driving so I stopped off to buy coolant (Prestone 50/50) and when I went to check the reservoir I noticed the top part of the cap was cracked and was leaking fluid. So I topped it off and took it to Acura and they replaced the cap and the hoses on each end. They didn't refill the coolant that leaked out on the way to Acura so I did. That was 4 days ago but I've been checking my coolant levels everyday and have noticed that it is always low so I top it off every morning. There are no leaks that I can see or any burning smells and the car drives perfectly fine. Does anyone have any ideas what the issue could be? Could it be because I'm not using OEM coolant and that the Prestone 50/50 is burning away?
Check oil engine that it is not a head gasket leak

·
Registered
89 Posts
Don't know how you can rule out a head gasket leak at this time. Have the system pressurized and look for leaks. Check engine oil if it looks milky, check the radiator when hot and running for coolant leaks around the plastic tank and aluminum fins,the crimps usually fatigue and you get leaks between the tank and fins.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts