Acura World banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the dealership today to get an oil change. My 2013 RDX currently has 29,693 miles on it. The dealership wanted $149.00 a piece for all three which comes to a little under $450.00 for the total work. I did not want to do it today because I wanted to do a little research first. Does this seem a little high? Is it really required at 30,000 miles? I think I am going to wait until 40,000 miles to get it done. I did call around to a independent shop and they stated the differentials seemed high by about 50 dollars a piece, but the transmission is actually pretty good. They cannot work on the transmission because it requires certain expertise. Is this true also?

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Well, two things:

1. Don't go by what the service department tells you, necessarily. Go by your Maintenance Minder system. The 30K transmission fluid change has been around at Acura dealers since before I started with Acura back in October of '95. With some models (those without maintenance minder systems and models prone to driveline issues) I'd agree. Your vehicle, however, is more advanced and can let YOU know when you need servicing.

When in doubt, go by your owner's manual.

2. The fluid change process isn't complicated and doesn't require special tools or training, but the fluids DO matter. A lot. For the rear differential, use Acura All-Wheel Drive Fluid (DPSF). NOTE: this is not the same as Honda Dual Pump fluid.

For the transmission, Acura/Honda DW1 synthetic.

I can't stress enough how much using the right fluid matters here.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts