Acura World banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Moderator?
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I got my 6 speed, I lost the one decent place in the CL to set my phone without a mount. I had it just to the left of the shifter. I decided not to get a full blown hands free kit because 1) I didn't want anyone taking my car apart, 2) I don't need power to the phone all the time since the battery lasts long enough for me, 3) I prefer to have the speaker IN my ear rather than a couple of feet away, and 4) I didn't want to pay for a professional install. All I reall needed was a place to set my phone so its out of the way yet within reach. I got the Pro-Fit mount which is make specifically for the CL/TL. Installation is a snap. Just pop off the trim piece, remove one radio mounting screw, and replace the screw with the mount in place. That part took all of 30 seconds. The plastic piece that actually hold the phone is Motorola's swivel belt clip for the StarTac. It holds the phone very securely. Since I didnt' need the swivel mount, I used a hot screwdriver as a saw to cut away the unneeded parts. Once I had a relatively smooth back on the holder, I drilled two holes through the coutersunk part and attached it to the Pro-Fit with two machine screws and nuts. I added one washer to the botton screw to angle the phone up slightly. That reduced glare from the back window and makes the screen much easier to see. Total time involved was about an hour and that includes a trip to the hardware store. I have the ear part of the earbud just setting in the tray behind the shifter for now, but I'll probably wind up securing it to the Pro-Fit mount with velcro. Another option is to get an earbud with a retractable wire and somehow mount the reel to the back of the Pro-Fit.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Looks great!!

I'm planning on doing the same thing with my TL..

I finally found a place that sells a holder for my phone for cheap.. :D

I'm gonna order my Pro-Fit next week..
Thanks for the pics..:bigok:

·
Registered
603 Posts
Same setup here (or similar)

I've got the same type of setup here for my v60. I love it's in the perfect place and it didn't take any distructive modifing to fit it there.

I how did get the handsfree kit since I had headsets.

I'll see if I can get a few pictures when i get home tonight.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Here's my setup

Here's my holder for my v60

Attachments

·
Moderator?
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
marlowek said:
Where does one get a pro-fit mount for their CL?
Search the lounge with my screen name for "cell phone" Edub posted links. I think its awswireless.com or something. Maybe aswireless.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Got mine today. Now i need to find a belt clip to modify for the holder. I'm a bit leery to start yanking on the wood grain trim pieces though.

Is there a very small gap where the trim is pushed out by the holder when installed?

·
Moderator?
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
marlowek said:
Got mine today. Now i need to find a belt clip to modify for the holder. I'm a bit leery to start yanking on the wood grain trim pieces though.

Is there a very small gap where the trim is pushed out by the holder when installed?
With the steel mount in place, there is a small gap between the trim and the radio. Its pretty small and I'm sure no one will notice unless you point it out to them. The trim piece is easy to remove. Just lift up the armrest (as if you were going to access the deep bin) and grab the extreme back end of the trim piece. Pull straight up. I have really short nails and had no problem getting it out. Once you remove it, flip it over and make sure all the steel clips are still in place. To replace it. start with top end by the radio and just roll it back down.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ok thanks. I'm going to Best Buy tomorrow to fing a holder.

How did you connect the power? I'm thinking of buying another car charger cord and cutting it, then splicing it into some non-switched circuit.

·
Moderator?
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
marlowek said:
Ok thanks. I'm going to Best Buy tomorrow to fing a holder.

How did you connect the power? I'm thinking of buying another car charger cord and cutting it, then splicing it into some non-switched circuit.
I just run my phone off the battery. I do carry a car charger so if the battery runs out when I'm in the car, I just use the outlet under the radio. But that doesn't happen that often. The phone's cradle doesn't interfere with the plug where the power adapter connects.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Got mines yesterday and installed it last night.. looks great, functional, and safe.. My phone mount actually is adjustable, so no need for washers.. but install took a total of about 30 min..

I routed my power from the cigarette lighter, through the panel where they connect the computer, down and out the side of the console... then plugged up to the holder.. so I don't have this power cable dangling in the way..

sorry, but I don't have a camera.. so no pics.. but next meet, I will have one of the guys take some..

Oh, and I found another place that sells them for $21.86

They didn't have it there at first, but i emailed them and then they made it available..

AC-54-99

http://www.canyonriver.com/online/order.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=C&Category_Code=PAcura

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.