Acura World banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Supz kids, I'm finally here! hahaha...anyway, I have about 6300 miles on my car right now and my gas mileage is sucking...the needle is at the middle point and i have like 120 miles...wtf??? Is it because I haven't gotten my oil change it? I know the maintenance light is flashing when i start my car, and then it goes away. Hmm...I don't drive my car hard like some people *ahem ray ahem*

How can I improve gas mileage!!! AHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,186 Posts
If you do mostly city driving (stop&go traffic) then that's about right. I get anywhere between 120-150 miles for half a tank in city driving. You will get more if it's all highway driving. I don't think the oil has anything to do with the gas.

BTW, if you change your oil regularly then just reset the maintenance light.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,901 Posts
every 3,000 miles or 3 months whatever comes first for Oil Changes
 

·
I am no one
Joined
·
14,751 Posts
TommyTL-S said:
Supz kids, I'm finally here! hahaha...anyway, I have about 6300 miles on my car right now and my gas mileage is sucking...the needle is at the middle point and i have like 120 miles...wtf??? Is it because I haven't gotten my oil change it? I know the maintenance light is flashing when i start my car, and then it goes away. Hmm...I don't drive my car hard like some people *ahem ray ahem*

How can I improve gas mileage!!! AHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
have you gotten your first oil change? that makes a hell lots of improvements. also if you do mostly city driving that's about right. and remember, when the needle is at half way, you have actually only used up 7 gallons of gas, not really half :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanx guys..:) when my gas lights up, and i fill it up at the gas station, i only get about 13-14 gallons WTF? isn't our gas tank like 17-18 gallons????? the light is lit so soon...or is it just my car?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,827 Posts
When the gas light comes on, you have approximately 3 gallons in the tank.

I get about 240 miles out of a tank when I hit the light.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,610 Posts
Re: Re: Dang...took me forever to get on!

rominl said:


have you gotten your first oil change? that makes a hell lots of improvements. :)
thats the consensus, even with gas mileage.

Now, i haven't gotten my 1st oil change yet. Scheduled for next thurs. So i'll let u know from personal experience if this improves, (at least for me... :) )
 

·
I am no one
Joined
·
14,751 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Dang...took me forever to get on!

Outlook said:


thats the consensus, even with gas mileage.

Now, i haven't gotten my 1st oil change yet. Scheduled for next thurs. So i'll let u know from personal experience if this improves, (at least for me... :) )
right before i got my first oil change, my gas mileage was down to like 16mpg or so.... it's very noticeable :)
 

·
That is all.....
Joined
·
5,936 Posts
My gas milege sucked for awhile too and i helped improve by switching to redline syn oil. I also changed spark plugs to denso iridium ik20's, and added fuel system cleaner from redline. Haven't measured how much improvement, but what used to be a five day gas fill up is now a eight day gas fill up routine with the same drive.
 

·
I am no one
Joined
·
14,751 Posts
evolaerok said:
My gas milege sucked for awhile too and i helped improve by switching to redline syn oil. I also changed spark plugs to denso iridium ik20's, and added fuel system cleaner from redline. Haven't measured how much improvement, but what used to be a five day gas fill up is now a eight day gas fill up routine with the same drive.
i am a strong believer in good synthetic oil and spark plugs too
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,174 Posts
rominl and evolaerok:
As always...I agree with you two...I used to get about 11mpg before redline 5w20 and ik20's...now I get an average of 20...I hit 415 miles in one tank for just one trip I made...my highest ever...about a week after my first oil change and spark plug replacement. Man I love that 5w20...but I need the fuel system cleaner...

Austin519
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
385 Posts
All I got is short ram intake and mobil 1 synthetic oil. On my commute with stop n' go traffic and some stretches where I really gun it, I've gotten around 25 mpg even 28 mpg before. I'm amazed that i'm getting this good mileage in bad LA traffic.

Even when I'm doing lots of high speed driving in excess of 100mph, I have never dropped below 20mpg before.

TLs are darn efficient cars.:)
 

·
I am no one
Joined
·
14,751 Posts
my record high with a tank of full gas (probably 14 gallons to be exact) was 400 miles when i drove from here to LA plus some more driving before the light came off. this was after i got my first oil change. i am still using the acura oil (not synthetic) and no other mods for more fuel economy.
 

·
I am no one
Joined
·
14,751 Posts
evolaerok said:


Must be hitting that VTEC a awful lot...
nop, from what i know ray hardly hits vtec. he hasn't gotten the first oil change that so that might be way. and he's doing a lot of city driving as well.
 

·
That is all.....
Joined
·
5,936 Posts
rominl said:


nop, from what i know ray hardly hits vtec. he hasn't gotten the first oil change that so that might be way. and he's doing a lot of city driving as well.
Dang... First oil change is really important too, Ray how many miles you at?!?
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top