Acura World banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would cause one side of the navigation button panel backlighting to go out? The buttons that are on the drivers side of the nav that control the driver AC no longer have backlighting at night. All of the rest work. It happened somehow during a Bluetooth install. I asked the tech that installed it to check fuses and he said none were blown. I had already replaced one fuse for my cigarette lighters that was blown by this. He thinks it’s a bulb and he’s willing to replace it once e figures out what to order. I was hoping someone on here may have an idea what is causing this. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
5 Posts
You didn't provide any details on the vehicle or nav system. Year, etc.

But, I can pretty much assure you it's not a bulb. I'm assuming it's a LCD and probably uses an LED of some sort for backlighting. My first guess would be that a connector was damaged, not connected properly, or not connected at all after the work was done. If you blew a fuse because of the work, there was likely a short of some sort. I would have the guy redo his work and check every connector that was disconnected and reconnected. Worst case scenario is that he burnt out a circuit. Best case is that a connection is loose, and he can fix it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kagan. He assured me that all connectors were thoroughly checked the second time they went in. I just don’t have any way of confirming what he’s saying. Hate to have to pay someone else to fix this problem when getting him to fix it is warranty work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah...it sucks! I just don't think he should be throwing up his hands and asking you to find the problem so he can fix it. He did the work, he has to own it. I was a field tech for years. If I screwed something up, I went back and spent as long as it took to make things right. He has insurance! Don't feel bad about demanding correction. He's just giving you the run around because he figures you won't go back to him again anyway. But reality is, you probably would if he did the right thing, because you'd trust his word.

If you're handy, you might try taking it apart yourself and checking things out. If you take your time, you can probably find the problem with just a multi-meter.

BTW, I REALLY hate how this site makes you log in every time. I post my reply, then have to type everything over cuz I'm not logged in! It should recognize my IP, I hope someone is listening.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: the tech that installed the Bluetooth fixed the backlighting. Turns out the bulbs under the buttons were out so he ordered a new button panel for the left side of the nav screen and now things are good there. I had no idea he had to order the whole piece. The next day the seat heaters stopped working. The Bluetooth install seems to have triggered a domino effect. First the cigarette lighters blew a fuse, then the backlighting on one side of the nav stopped working and now the seat heaters. Ugh! All I wanted was to have hands free again. So ridiculous. I’m reluctant to go back to the tech again. I hope nothing else goes out. Not sure what to do. I have changes out the heater fuse but it wasn’t blown.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.