Acura World banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys! I just got 2002 tl. This is probably a stupid qustion but can someone explzin to me the different speeds (D1,D2,D3,D4,D5) and the appropriate time to use it.

·
Premium Member
7,318 Posts
It's a regular automatic transmission, so for almost all your driving you would want to use D5. D4 will lock out the tallest overdrive and is used for hilly terrain to keep the transmission from shifting excessively. D1-D3 are for holding lower gears only--usually only used for engine braking down a steep hill, crawling over steep terrain or when you are stuck in snow/mud. If you need D1-D3 you probably shouldn't be where you are with a car. :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Then there's always gate shifting... But, you won't do that much. I use D5 almost all the time, as it's just normal automatic. You can nudge it down into D4 for more passing power.

·
Registered
6 Posts
How can you use the knob? I see a plus and minus and I would love to learn how to use it. I bought a used car so therefore I have no manual. I know how to use the D1-D5 but I also have numbers 1 & 2.

When I shift the knob to the left a number appears on my screen and it goes form 1-5

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes, D5 Is what you use in everyday situations.

The plus and minus is the "sport shift" gate. You push the lever to the + for upshifts and - for downshifts.

When using the sport shift feature, the shift from first to second is automated. Every shift after that is controlled by you. It won't downshift if that would put the engine above redline.

The numbers 1-5 indicate the selected gear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts