Acura World banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was taking off my front 2 tires to switch them. As I was getting ready to tighten the lug nuts, the tire turned with me. Now if I'm not mistaken, the tire should be in a lock position, meaning it can't turn, right? I am not talking about left or right but turning as in when the wheel is in motion. The engine was off and the key was out of the ignition. Does it happen to you guys too or is there something wrong with mine? I know that my dad's 90 camry and my mom's 90 accord front wheels lock up.

FYI, I have a 99 TL.

·
Registered
333 Posts
When I tighten bolts on my front ones, they move a bit but basically, they are locked and will not turn.

·
Bling_Bling INSPIRE 32V
3,018 Posts
Hey Binh,

Was it front or back wheels?? Both front wheel cannot be turned because our car is FWD. But the rear wheel can be turned unless you press parking brake. If you did set the parking brake and wheel turned, you're in trouble buddy. :D

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
songoku said:
Hey Binh,

Was it front or back wheels?? Both front wheel cannot be turned because our car is FWD. But the rear wheel can be turned unless you press parking brake. If you did set the parking brake and wheel turned, you're in trouble buddy. :D
Paul,

It was the front 2 wheels. Some people say it can be turned and others say it can't. Oh well I am going to PAA soon so I'll ask them.:D

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
I'd say they should turn unless you have the parking brake on. Remember - we have an open differential and even though the car is in park, that doesn't change the diff. One wheel should be able to spin, but not both IMO.

·
I am no one
14,751 Posts
autoxCLS said:
I'd say they should turn unless you have the parking brake on. Remember - we have an open differential and even though the car is in park, that doesn't change the diff. One wheel should be able to spin, but not both IMO.
umm..... in that case when you put the car in park, what's preventing the car from rolling then?

·
Bling_Bling INSPIRE 32V
3,018 Posts
Front??

Those should be turning opposite direction. Like......when driver side wheel turns clockwise, the passenger side wheel suppose to turn counter-clcokwise.

Am I right???

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
songoku said:
Front??

Those should be turning opposite direction. Like......when driver side wheel turns clockwise, the passenger side wheel suppose to turn counter-clcokwise.

Am I right???
Paul, are you confusing yourself?:D

Your previous post you said that the 2 front wheels can't be turned but now you say it can be turned in opposite direction.:sqnteek:

:dunno:

·
Registered
955 Posts
autoxCLS said:
Does the parking brake apply the brakes to all four wheels? 'Cuz I thought that the typical parking brake applies the rear brakes only; if so, then whether or not the parking brakes are applied should have no effect on whether or not either or both front wheels turn, unless Acura does things differently...:dunno:

What songku says about one drive wheels rotating in a direction opposite the other drive wheel is more or less true; however I don't remember if they still spin if the auto tranny is in park. I do know--IIRC--that on a manual tranny, even if you put it in a high gear, like 5th, and have both (front only, or does it do the same for rear, depending on type of differentia?) drive wheels off the ground, if you rotate one wheel (takes a little more effort since you have the car in gear) in one direction, the other wheel will/should rotate in the opposite direction.

Then again, what do I know--I'm no auto mechanic...

·
Bling_Bling INSPIRE 32V
3,018 Posts
BlackShadow said:

Paul, are you confusing yourself?:D

Your previous post you said that the 2 front wheels can't be turned but now you say it can be turned in opposite direction.:sqnteek:

:dunno:
Binh,

I meant when the gear was in Neutral....... :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.