Acura World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By delay, I mean there is some damned built-in timer that if you command a shift under WOT say a second after it shifts from 1-2, it won't change gears! I find myself having to command the upshift 2-3 times sometimes! The delay seems to be about 2 seconds.

Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Oh yeah!! I hate that and it's one of the main reasons why I rarely use SS.

Sad, the base automatic RSX loaner I've driven has an SS that's about 10x better than the CL's :rolleyes:

·
Registered
422 Posts
GoldTypeS said:
Oh yeah!! I hate that and it's one of the main reasons why I rarely use SS.

Sad, the base automatic RSX loaner I've driven has an SS that's about 10x better than the CL's :rolleyes:
Whover wrote the mapping for this "Grade Logic" crapbox put it in the wrong car.

Maybe a TL can get away with conservative manners.....but the reflex code is too slow for a sporting machine.

BTW, the upshift spark/fuel delay shaves approx 0.8 off our 0-60. :(

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It seems more that they're trying to coax more life out of a transmission that was never designed to take the CLS/TLS power than anything else. If the current mappings kill trannies, then a sportier, quicker mapping would REALLY destroy them.

.8??? That'd be faster than the 6MT is projected...??

clp said:
Whover wrote the mapping for this "Grade Logic" crapbox put it in the wrong car.

Maybe a TL can get away with conservative manners.....but the reflex code is too slow for a sporting machine.

BTW, the upshift spark/fuel delay shaves approx 0.8 off our 0-60. :(

·
Registered
422 Posts
autoxCLS said:
It seems more that they're trying to coax more life out of a transmission that was never designed to take the CLS/TLS power than anything else. If the current mappings kill trannies, then a sportier, quicker mapping would REALLY destroy them.

.8??? That'd be faster than the 6MT is projected...??

Most modern automatics can snap shifts off much faster than humanly possible. Where the auto loses it's edge is the initial transfer of torque through the converter.

BTW, it's not the software that will kill a tranny.....it's the torque. No mapping will prevent the inevitable.

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agreed, but if the flaw in the CLS/TLS 5AT is in the clutches, and the software is written to save the clutches, wouldn't it be reasonable to expect that the failure rate would be higher with sportier mappings?

clp said:

BTW, it's not the software that will kill a tranny.....it's the torque. No mapping will prevent the inevitable.

·
Registered
422 Posts
autoxCLS said:
Agreed, but if the flaw in the CLS/TLS 5AT is in the clutches, and the software is written to save the clutches, wouldn't it be reasonable to expect that the failure rate would be higher with sportier mappings?

You're definitely a computer guy. ;)

K.I.S.S. :beerchug:

·
Registered
422 Posts
Driven said:
Do you guys know yet what's killing the trannies?
To keep it simple: too much pressure on "clutching". Been fixed.

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, how about the techincal reasons? BTW - I heard our tranny uses 3 shafts - not planetaries. What's the difference?

clp said:
To keep it simple: too much pressure on "clutching". Been fixed.

·
Registered
422 Posts
autoxCLS said:
Well, how about the techincal reasons? BTW - I heard our tranny uses 3 shafts - not planetaries. What's the difference?

All slushies use planetaries. Whoever said ours do not use them.......don't talk to them anymore. ;) As for 3 shafts? R u talking about Sun, Carrier, and Ring?

As for being technical.......no way cuz it'll put even me to sleep. ;) Plus, I'm no Einstein. However, there was too much pressure on reflex/switching between sun and carrier.

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
autoxCLS said:
By delay, I mean there is some damned built-in timer that if you command a shift under WOT say a second after it shifts from 1-2, it won't change gears! I find myself having to command the upshift 2-3 times sometimes! The delay seems to be about 2 seconds.

Anyone else have this problem?

I noticed it... bbut thought it was a sign of impending doom on a transmission.

·
Registered
179 Posts
A 2 second lag on shift is not normal and could be a sign of impending trouble.. see my sig -> I feel I am authorized to provide expert testimony on this matter. LOL

All but the newest evolutions of manumatics have approximately 1 second time to complete a shift in manual mode. This is true for all manumatics... there are ofcourse exceptions but very fwe... .8 to 1.1 sec from the time you move the stick until the gear transition completes... thats life have to deal with it...

As for why our clutches are/were failing.. My belief is that it is 90% related to heat ... causing our clutch packs to break down and clogging solonoids and valve body passages causing more heat build up etc.. the viscious cycle continues... if anyone wants a more eloborate explanation lemme know but I have better options to cure insomnia ;) lol

Chris

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wait a sec though - this happens to almost everyone I know from 2-3 when at WOT. If it were a delayed shift, the indicator would show 3, and you would feel the dreaded slipping, usually coinciding with a subsequent RPM spike.

That is not what I'm talking about. I command an upshift, it almost seems to ignore it. I can re-create almost every time.

This doesn't happen on yours? I'd think it would manifest itself moreso on a car with I/H/E just because the net time between the 1-2 shift and the necessary 2-3 shift at WOT is shorter with said mods.

NightHawkTypeS said:
A 2 second lag on shift is not normal and could be a sign of impending trouble.. see my sig -> I feel I am authorized to provide expert testimony on this matter. LOL

All but the newest evolutions of manumatics have approximately 1 second time to complete a shift in manual mode. This is true for all manumatics... there are ofcourse exceptions but very fwe... .8 to 1.1 sec from the time you move the stick until the gear transition completes... thats life have to deal with it...

As for why our clutches are/were failing.. My belief is that it is 90% related to heat ... causing our clutch packs to break down and clogging solonoids and valve body passages causing more heat build up etc.. the viscious cycle continues... if anyone wants a more eloborate explanation lemme know but I have better options to cure insomnia ;) lol

Chris

·
Registered
179 Posts
Negative ghost rider .. the formation is full...

Have no prbs with that .. any any of my tranny's... on command one second later its delivered....

Sequential Sport Shift: The clear alternative to a real tranny

1 - 15 of 15 Posts