Acura World banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Moderator?
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there ANY downsides to Comptech sways? This is for sways-only, ie. stock springs and shocks. I guess it rides a little harsher. Any potential long term wear/failure issues for adjacent components?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Downside to sways???? None really. It makes the handling of the car soo much better. From massive understeer to something more neutral. Springs will make your ride a bit more harsh but not sways.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I think there will be some ride quality penalites. The car is stiffer, hence bumps will be felt more. Both springs and sways will contribute a little to this. They're still worth it though. You will be amazed at the lack of body roll.

As far as adjacent components, I don't see how there could be any ill effects. They still attach just like the stock sways, they just happen to be a little thicker.

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
GoldTypeS said:
I think there will be some ride quality penalites. The car is stiffer, hence bumps will be felt more. Both springs and sways will contribute a little to this. They're still worth it though. You will be amazed at the lack of body roll.

As far as adjacent components, I don't see how there could be any ill effects. They still attach just like the stock sways, they just happen to be a little thicker.

I thought one needed to lower in order to have sways... how much do they cost, and how much would they be for installation?
What abotu winter traction? Snow?

·
NO AMG, NO CARE
10,481 Posts
Scorpius said:

I thought one needed to lower in order to have sways... how much do they cost, and how much would they be for installation?
What abotu winter traction? Snow?
no, you can be at stock height to have sway bars. They cost about $270 and less than $100 if you dont want to install them yourself. I'm not sure if they would affect winter traction and snow...it's definetly worth the investment though.

·
Acuraworld Junior Member
49 Posts
Do It!

My very first mod at 700 miles was to have the sways installed. I didn't the springs put on until later.

Body roll is less noticable - the car corners much flatter. You therefore have more confidence when cornering at speed.

Downside? You soon realize how really inadequate the stock tires are. Taking corners faster resulting in those Michelins squealing on a regular basis, as well as scrubbing down the shoulders. I also had a bit of noise after the first couple of weeks where the suspension would "creak" as g forces loaded and unloaded on the back passenger side. It was a simple 10 minutes fix at the dealership where they added some teflon (?) tape to the sway bushings. It just started "creaking" again, so they're looking at it today along with an oil change.

BTW - I'm writing this from one the computers set up in the Rick Case Acura waiting room as my car gets services. I really do love these guys.

:boink: :bigok:

·
Moderator?
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Do It!

FLL Type-S said:
Downside? You soon realize how really inadequate the stock tires are. Taking corners faster resulting in those Michelins squealing on a regular basis, as well as scrubbing down the shoulders. I also had a bit of noise after the first couple of weeks where the suspension would "creak" as g forces loaded and unloaded on the back passenger side.
I've already upgraded my tires so I guess I'm good to go. How common is creaking? Does everyone have it or are you just the lucky one?

·
NO AMG, NO CARE
10,481 Posts
Re: Re: Do It!

mdaniel said:

I've already upgraded my tires so I guess I'm good to go. How common is creaking? Does everyone have it or are you just the lucky one?
I think it's somewhat common w/ comptech sways but almost nonexistant with neuspeed sways...

·
Moderator?
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Re: Re: Do It!

Iridium130 said:

I think it's somewhat common w/ comptech sways but almost nonexistant with neuspeed sways...
:-/ Its always something. Does anyone know how neuspeed compares to Comptech? I think I heard somewhere that urathane bushings creak but rubber doesn't. What's the advantage of urathane if it has the downside of creaking?

·
NO AMG, NO CARE
10,481 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Do It!

mdaniel said:

:-/ Its always something. Does anyone know how neuspeed compares to Comptech? I think I heard somewhere that urathane bushings creak but rubber doesn't. What's the advantage of urathane if it has the downside of creaking?
the creaking is a quick 10 minute fix if it does happen...Neuspeeds are a lot thicker than Comptechs. Check the TL forum, they have multiple threads regarding this ;)

·
Acuraworld Junior Member
49 Posts

mdaniel said:
I think I heard somewhere that urathane bushings creak but rubber doesn't. What's the advantage of urathane if it has the downside of creaking?
I think I read somewhere that the urethane last longer than rubber.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Do It!

Iridium130 said:

Whaaaat?????????????????????????????

COMPTECHS DO NOT CREAk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bumps have nothing to do with the sways. Sways are for chasis rigidity and flex.

Ride quailty will be determined by damper/spring rate settings.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts

mdaniel said:

The Comptech bushings are polyurethane which will not deflect as much as stock rubber bushings, and will give a sharper, more precise and consistent turn.

One tendency of polyurethane bushings is the squeak. Early comptech sways came with grease and/or the teflon tape, now they just come with the teflon tape. As long as a good amount of tape is used and it is securely put on you should not hear any squeaks from the sways.

If you don't use the teflon tape be prepared for squeaks, because it if basically a plastic-type bushing flexing against a metal bar, eeek.

I have had mine on for awhile and haven't heard any squeaks and have not had to re-apply the teflon tape.

I have driven through snow - no difference, if not better. Remember that the anti-sway bars are going to give you less body roll in turns, which is a good thing in all situations ;) Well, maybe not all, if you plan to go offroading with your car the stiffer sway bar can effectively nullify the independent suspension and make for a rough ride.

My first impression after I got them installed was, "Wny didn't the car come stock like this?" Sways are a must, you will love them! Minimal change to roughness of ride, huge reduction in body roll :)

·
Registered
1,059 Posts

Zapata said:
Bumps have nothing to do with the sways. Sways are for chasis rigidity and flex.

Ride quailty will be determined by damper/spring rate settings.
Bumps will affect anything and everything to do with your suspension, including the sway bars (albeit not as much as springs).

Picture this... A set of speed bumps setup so only one tire (left/right) goes over at a time in an alternating pattern. With stiffer sway bars you're in for a bumpy ride, because they are trying to nullify the independent suspension and treat forces applied to one side of the car to both.

This is the same principle as the upper strut tie bar, it spreads forces applied to one strut tower to both to maintain optimal wheel to road traction especially in hard turns.

Did that make sense?

·
NO AMG, NO CARE
10,481 Posts
I'm getting crazyass creaking now....what should I do?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Iridium130 said:
I'm getting crazyass creaking now....what should I do?
Did you install them yourself? Yes? Did you use the teflon and/or grease combination? Maybe needs to be retaped/greased.

Did you get them installed elsewhere? Yes? Bring it back to have them redo the teflon tape and check the bushings for any damage.

Just a few thoughts. You will probably need to redo the teflon tape. Although I haven't done this myself yet I was told it was pretty easy to do. I am sure if you give Wayne @ PAA a ring he could step you through it.

good luck

·
NO AMG, NO CARE
10,481 Posts
copland007 said:

Did you install them yourself? Yes? Did you use the teflon and/or grease combination? Maybe needs to be retaped/greased.

Did you get them installed elsewhere? Yes? Bring it back to have them redo the teflon tape and check the bushings for any damage.

Just a few thoughts. You will probably need to redo the teflon tape. Although I haven't done this myself yet I was told it was pretty easy to do. I am sure if you give Wayne @ PAA a ring he could step you through it.

good luck
hmm...I didn't grease them...I think I'll try that when I decide to take them off to do it this weekend.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.