Acura World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ken,

Nice car. It that Sterling gray? What type are your wheels? Do you have any performance mods?

I notice thast you have clear lights front and side but amber on the rear. You can get clear rears on e-bay for $120-150 or clear Celis for $250-300. This would complete the look.

Steve D

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steve D said:
Ken,

Nice car. It that Sterling gray? What type are your wheels? Do you have any performance mods?

I notice thast you have clear lights front and side but amber on the rear. You can get clear rears on e-bay for $120-150 or clear Celis for $250-300. This would complete the look.

Steve D
Steve:

Its some sort of gray, don't know what kind though. This car is orginally from Canada so the color was not an option for the American cars in '98. I believe this color became available for the E39 in 2000 (not sure).

As for the rear lights, I was on lists for those Celis lights from a couple places, since they are very hard to get.

I just haven't had time to order them (or think about them actually). I would have picked up the regular Euro clears before, but really wanted the Celis.

One question for you Steve. What do you think of me switching over to Magnaflow High Flow cats? I want to order this coming week but want to know what you think. I can never get a good answer from bimmer.org. I want to do the 2 main cats, I don't even want to mess w/ the pre-cats since I've heard of computer errors if you mess around too much.

I've heard that w/ the cats, the car revs quicker and gets a little more raunchy. I've also yet to do the CDV delete when I get some time.

Those wheels are 18" Breyton Inspirations. I've got 18x8.5 in the front w/ 245/40/18s and 18x9.5 in the rear w/ 265/35/18s. I haven't done many mods, I've got a new clutch/flywheel coming. I've got Zimmerman rotors all around, EBC Greenbrake pads, SS Brake lines, running ATE High Perf. Fluid. I changed over to the Active Autowerks shifte knob/e-brake package (makes a VERY likeable difference since the shift knob is much heavier than stock and the shift is much more enjoyable. The e-brake handle is just cosmetic). Thats it for now.

I've got a 2002 M3 on order, so I'll be using that more than the 540 once I get it so I don't see the need to throw in too much money in this car since its fast enough for me (14.165 @ 99.76MPH 1/4 so far).

What kind of front lip spoiler do you have? I want that!

Ken

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have also heard that free flow cats make a big impact but have no first hand experience. I will probably investigate this more closely later this year after I get my CAI installed.

Do remove or drill out the CDV. It makes a big improvement in the ease of shifting with no drawbacks that I can see.

My front spoiler is The BMW areo kit spoiler which I got from Pacific BMW for $290. I think it looks great.

Steve D

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Steve D said:
I have also heard that free flow cats make a big impact but have no first hand experience. I will probably investigate this more closely later this year after I get my CAI installed.

Do remove or drill out the CDV. It makes a big improvement in the ease of shifting with no drawbacks that I can see.

My front spoiler is The BMW areo kit spoiler which I got from Pacific BMW for $290. I think it looks great.

Steve D
Thanks for the info Steve. I'm ordering the cats. Seems like the place where I ordered them from on Sat. can't ship them for some reason. I've got to find another place which sells them.

I think I might order that front lip spoiler. I love the look on that. How much did they charge for paint/install? I'd like to get it done by a BMW bodyshop, but they usually try to rip you off. I just want to know what I should go there expecting.

Thanks,

Ken

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ken,
A local body shop who works with Clinton Acura in NJ painted mine for $100. Now I am personal friends with the service manager at Clinton Acura so I got a little break, but I got another quote for the rear lower spoiler for $120 from another body shop, so I think you should find someone in that range.

I installed mine myself. It is quite easy as the kit comes from BMW with instructions (partially in German) and all the fasteners, adhesive etc. that you need. Took me about 2 hours but I was going very carefully. I believe there are instructions and tips on www.bmwtips.com.

I am very interested in your experience with the cats. Do you plan to add a CAI and/or chip program as well? Let me know what improvements you see with the cat change.

Thanks,

Steve D

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Steve D said:
Ken,
A local body shop who works with Clinton Acura in NJ painted mine for $100. Now I am personal friends with the service manager at Clinton Acura so I got a little break, but I got another quote for the rear lower spoiler for $120 from another body shop, so I think you should find someone in that range.

I installed mine myself. It is quite easy as the kit comes from BMW with instructions (partially in German) and all the fasteners, adhesive etc. that you need. Took me about 2 hours but I was going very carefully. I believe there are instructions and tips on www.bmwtips.com.

I am very interested in your experience with the cats. Do you plan to add a CAI and/or chip program as well? Let me know what improvements you see with the cat change.

Thanks,

Steve D
The prices on the paintjob don't sound too bad at all.

As for the cats, I've got someone working on it to see if he can get them for me. My last guy didn't work, hopefully this one is able to do a little better. I'm not planning on doing a CAI anytime soon. I know that RevHigh sells them, that might be a possibility.

As for the chip, I just don't see any chips worth it at this time. I don't want to do Dinan because the power gains are just not worth it for the amount of money I'll throw into the chip.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts