Acura World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Newbie here, so hello everyone!

Have a '90 Integra for a daily driver- and it is time for engine replacement. Just love it too much to let it go. B18A's are near impossible to find, but have been told that a B18B will bolt right up. I plan to use my old distributor & intake manifold to keep it simple & hopefully still able to pass smog. So the question is this: Is it truly this simple? Will the bell housing mate perfectly with the alignment pins and bolt holes in the right place? How about engine mounts? Will anything have to be adapted? I'm looking at a 'B18B 94-97 (LS) Long Block' pullout. If I get confirmation this will be an easy swap I'll change the water pump, t-stat, & timing belt, swap the manifold & distributor. Add coolant, filter, & oil. Probably clutch plate, disc, throwout bearing too. Anything else I need to consider? What I need is a simple, straight forward, & cheap way to stay on the road. Am I on the right track? If this was 20 years ago and we we talking an old air cooled Beetle I'd know what to expect- but I am new to the Acura/Honda world, but I do plan on staying a long while!

Kitfox

·
just call me moe
5,483 Posts
why did you say you have an intrepid? and yes the blocks are just about identical. it is simple and straightforward.

·
Integra Mod/2nd Gen Guru
4,756 Posts
I'm confused? Intrepid...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry- duh! Yes I have an Intrepid as well- that is the wife's car. Can't wait to get rid of it either. At least I know people catch the details here! Mine is an INTEGRA! To many cars start with INT.

Thank you for confirmation. At this point I cannot afford any major "Oh $#%*" occurrences in the process. Will need it for getting to work in a couple weeks.

kitfox

·
Old Parts Slinger
9,604 Posts
If its going into the Integra, it will bolt right up. It's the same engine as what you have in the car right now. Only thing is depending on the year of the engine, you may have to carry over the engine side mount bracket (some integras are 2 bolt, others are 3 bolt). Other then that, your wiring harness will bolt up perfectly and everything is a direct fit in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks- exactly what I was hoping to hear! So long as I will have what parts I need between the two engines life will be very good indeed. Appreciate the help!

kf

·
Integra Mod/2nd Gen Guru
4,756 Posts
Thats not entirely true... You're running a OBD0 right now and you're looking at getting an engine from an OBD1 car. So you're going to run into some issues with the distributor wire harness and some sensors.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Acura2g- Well, I had expected to swap my old distributor back in so the harness for it shouldn't be an issue, right? And sensors.... Still debating whether to give my old B18A1 intake manifold a minor port job to transition more smoothly to the -B1 head or to retain the B1 intake- and sensor compatibility would be the deciding factor, right? Minor harness modifications would not be hard so long as I can find a pin-out or schematic for each year- but if the actual sensors screw with my computer because of some inability to calibrate to OBD0 then I'll just use the use the old manifold. Ten horsepower alone is not an issue to me, so if it seems easy to use the B1 manifold we will, if not, reusing the -A1 manifold won't be a big deal, right? Wouldn't that pretty much take care of these issues? But yes, these are the sorts of things I want to hear about. I did pull the trigger on the deal so to speak- have a '96 or '97 B18B pullout longblock ordered as of late this afternoon. So long as I can swap parts back & forth as as needed to make everything fit without suddenly finding I have some major incompatibility I'll be fine. I have heard that I need to retain my B18A style clutch because my tranny's pilot shaft is a tad shorter, and I may need to change a pulley back. Stuff like that will not be an issue. Finding the bolt holes on the bell housing do not line up... well that would be more than a little painful!

Thanks for your answer!

kf

·
Integra Mod/2nd Gen Guru
4,756 Posts
I can't remember entirely, since its been awhile, but I'm pretty sure you can't swap dizzy's because of how they fit. If i remember right. You can buy a wire harness from Hondata, pretty sure, that will take care of that issue for you. The intake manifold is not a problem. I think the diameters are different but still match up.

·
Registered
29 Posts
noob here too..but i have an extra b18a1 im swapping it to an h22...so i will have my full motor just laying around....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts