Acura World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone.

I have a 2000 TL w/ 130,000 miles on it. Last Sunday the car ran great. The following morning had blinking Check engine light, TCS light on and had (what felt like) misfires. I had the codes run ...misfires in 2,3 and 5. EGR errors, MAF sensor and HO2 sensor faults.

I did a little reading and all signs pointed to clogged EGR. The EGR was VERY clogged. I cleaned the ports, manifold, and throttle intake. The Car does run better now. At 35-45 mph you wouldnt even know it has an issue. At 50+ it wants to shake apart. I still have the same blinking lights ans same codes. And NOW after the car warms up and is put into park the idle spikes and dives on me. Almost wants to stall out. **Note I replaced plugs and coils about a year ago**

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
The idle issue is low coolant. I'm willing to bet that a pocket of air is working around the system.

Remove the radiator cap with the engine cold, then start the car. Let it run for about a minute with the cap off, and allow the air to bubble out of the system. Replace the cap, THEN shut the car off.

Are you getting the exact same misfire codes, or are they on different cylinders? In either event, jot the codes down, then switch a couple of the coils around, from cylinders that HAVE codes, to ones that don't. Clear the codes. If the EXACT same cylinder misfires happen, replace the coils. If not, stop there, it's something else....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tim, I never would have gotten that the idle was a coolant issue ...guess thats why you're the pro.

Yes I got the same 5 codes with the same cylinders both times I ran them. I will follow your advice and let you know how it goes.

Thank you!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok I started with coil 6 since it right up front and traded it out with 5. Immediately the car ran much smoother, but not great. Drove and rescanned and got error codes on 2 and 5 **I was getting misfires on 2,3, and 6** And I was still getting the p0300 and P1399. I bought a new coil to switch out and started with 5. Started it up and no lights and ran ALMOST 100% smooth. Car was still warm and took it a mile up the road and the same blinking check engine and TCS light came on again....started getting a slight chugging. Swapped the new coil out and put into 2 this time and again, ran smoother but the check engine light eventually came back on.

Also - I didnt have any luck with idle issue. ran the cold car, cap off, for a few minutes. Replaced the cap and after it warmed up the spiking idle issue came back. I tried running it again (cap off) for about ten minutes this time. Coolant raised and dropped out of the radiator but again it didn't solve my idle issue.

Is it possible I had two or more coils go out on the same day? Whats next??

Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update

I pulled all the coils and cleaned them and replaced. Everything fires correctly now with the new coil in the #2 spot. I dont know if it was the cleaning or the fact that the battery was disconnected for a while ...regardless its running smoothly

EXCEPT when in park. Still having the idle issue. If anything its worse now. Im not sure what to do. Drain and replace coolant?

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
I wouldn't go that far.....it could be a malfunctioning TW sensor, but without hearing it, it's hard to be sure. Any chance you can post a quick video or audio file with what's happening?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts