Acura World banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my car last night after dropping it off for the ignition switch recall and they also said they "updated the EGR Port" .

The receipt reads as follow:
EGR PORT CLOGGED WITH CARBON RESTICTING FLOW
REMOVE INTAKE-CLEAN CARBON AND INSTALL UPDATE KIT. CHECK FOR CODES-CLEAR AS NEEDED AND ROAD TEST CAR.

I didn't have time to ask exactly what they did, but the term "update kit" raised some flags.

This was covered under warranty. What's an EGR Port? Why would it of been clogged with carbon if it's part of the intake? and why would they offer an update kit and not have it recalled?

Has anyone else needed to have this done?

Maybe it's just me but the car actually feels a little more responsive.

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
EGR is Exhaust Gas Recirculation - it is an emissions control device that uses the hot exhaust gas to warm up your engine faster. A warm modern engine produces practically zero emissions with proper cats, etc.

Clogged EGR valves make the engine run rough, and may impact fuel economy so I'm sure it did make a difference.

·
91 Posts
the egr valve causes the engine to run cooler (the exhaust lowers the temp inside the cylinder) to keep Nox emissions lower. When EGR passages clog, cars usually ping, especially in high gear, but we wouldn't hear pinging because of our high octane fuel. the other symptom is hesitation in the 1500-2500 rpm range. don't know if it would affect gas mileage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.