Acura World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
NO MORE DIALYSIS
4,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For you curious folk looking for some more info on this Canadian-only vehicle, here's an article comparing the Acura 1.7 EL and Honda Civic LX:

http://www.automotive-review.com/comparo5.htm

The top of the line Civic sedan in Canada is the LX. We don't get the Civic EX sedan here at all in Canada, hence the comparison to the LX sedan (our EX coupe is called the Si, with the forthcoming hatchback an SiR). Therefore, no VTEC in a Canadian Civic sedan, as well as no moonroof. The EL also has some additional features not found on any Civic sedan or coupe, which are already metioned in other threads in this forum.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
nice to see you rub the fact that the EL is only available in Canada in our faces w/ your signature :D ;):sqnteek:

·
NO MORE DIALYSIS
4,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The funny thing is Acura/Honda doesn't believe a car like the EL would sell in the U.S. because the common belief is that "luxury" vehicles should be big and expensive (ie. Cadillacs, Lincolns). A top of the line EL only costs about as much as a base model Accord (but with more features than the base Accord). Also, having a Civic model in the U.S. that is about 75% of what the EL is wouldn't help. Smaller cars are more common in Canada and the idea of a small luxury Japanese car sells here. Case in point, the best selling car in the U.S. in the last several years has been the Accord or Camry, while in Canada it's the Civic, and the EL is one of Acura's best selling cars in Canada.

Also, there's a coolness factor in owning a car that I can drive across the border to the U.S. where people would look at it wondering what the hell kind of Acura is that?!? :cool: :D

·
Yuck Foo
2,589 Posts
Do you have pics of your EL?

·
NO MORE DIALYSIS
4,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have a digital camera on me...I'll have to borrow it from my brother sometime whenever he swings by, and still, I'd rather wait until the winter is over, when my car is clean and I can put my alloy wheels back on, as they look so much better than the steel rims and cheapie covers I have on my winter tires right now ;) I'll see what I can do in the meantime...

Driven, I've taken that comment out of my signature. I suppose it pribably was a bit much to rub it in...

:beerchug:

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
Naah - don't sweat it. We're all here to have fun. :)

RiceBoy said:
Driven, I've taken that comment out of my signature. I suppose it pribably was a bit much to rub it in...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello. Just seeing how this board turns out ;)

Anyway, here's a quick list of things in a 1.7EL that you won't find in most Civics:

Touring trim (CDN$21,700 / ~US$13,450):
+ 1.7L VTEC engine (not available on Canadian Civic sedans)
+ extra sound insulation for quieter ride
+ specialize suspension tuning (i.e. quicker turning than Civic)
+ JDM Civic Ferio RS alloy rims
+ 4 wheel disc brakes
+ 4 channel / 4 sensor ABS
+ standard CD player
+ alarm and remote keyless entry with Acura key fob
+ remote keyless trunk release
+ power windows with auto DOWN and UP
+ side air bag (not available in ANY Canadian Civic)
+ DRL and heated power mirrors (not available on USA Civics)
/ different rear trunk (EL slopes up, Civic slopes down)
/ different trunk lights
/ Acura V-style front bumper with intergrated signal lights
/ cleared headlights
/ Acura pentagon grill
/ different hood with centre crease
+ upgraded frabric seats (higher quality than Civic)
+ leather wrapped steering wheel and shifter
+ leather, wood, and chrome interior trim
+ Acura mats included
+ Acura emblems and badging
+ cup cover (added to 2002 Civics)
+ your usual Acura warantee and roadside assistance
+ special Windveil colour option that's not available on Civics

Premium trim (everything in Touring + / +CDN$2000):
+ leather heated seats
+ power moonroof

Limited edition (everything in Premium ++ / +CDN$650):
+ Acura 6 CD changer
+ gold emblems and "Limited" badging
+ rear spoiler and splash guards

I think that's everything. :D

·
NO MORE DIALYSIS
4,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jonavin,

Nice to see you in these parts too outside of the Yahoo! Group. I know someone was going to put together a more detailed comparison than I. I was just waiting for you to do it :D

James

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
RiceBoy said:

I was just joking there bud. Throw that comment back in. Its good to see some unique-ness. :beerchug:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm actually on a lot of boards. It's just that most of them don't have any relavent information to be useful. And the other ones are just a pissing flame war every other thread.

Another good site is 7thgencivic.com. There other EL owners that frequent this site and the site owner is very Canadian frendly.

Of course, this site could get very interesting. :)

·
NO MORE DIALYSIS
4,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found the same issues with some other boards... At least this one here is fairly new, and this EL forum in particular less than a week old, which gives us early birds already in here pretty much the control to shape it's tone to however we want. The people here seem to be more intelligent than some others I've encountered in other forums....though the jury is still out on that one :D

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
RiceBoy said:
I found the same issues with some other boards... At least this one here is fairly new, and this EL forum in particular less than a week old, which gives us early birds already in here pretty much the control to shape it's tone to however we want. The people here seem to be more intelligent than some others I've encountered in other forums....though the jury is still out on that one :D
We do have a Judge on the board somewhere. Just wish he'd say something :)

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
RiceBoy said:
I think we are pretty intelligent!!!:bigok: :beerchug:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I hope your judges aren't like the figure-skating judges :mad:
Talk about rip-off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts