1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Bling_Bling INSPIRE 32V
3,018 Posts
Electric Turbo with 12V switch, huh?? :sqnteek:

·
Banned
173 Posts
It's a piece of crap..but it does use the right concept.. While turbo uses exhast to turn the turbines which will suck and push air. this thing uses electric power to turn the turbine which sucks and pushes the air in. but there are flaws

1) It is switched controlled...it has no connection or link to the car when to turn on, it's driver controlled. So when do you turn it on?

2) It could restrict air flow rather then help it.

3) Do you want this thing to push 600 CFM of air while your at a stop light?

This thing is just stupid. If it was controlled by a on board computer which knows when to turn on and off...it might work.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have seen a better add for the same type of thing. It was a high powered fan that was connected to the cars computer so when you hit WOT the fan kicked in. The add showed some guys playing with the fan connected directly to a car battery but not connected to anything and the fan could hover with no help. The add even quoted what psi the fan could generate, but I don't remember how many psi. If somebody gave me one I would see how it worked on my car but I wouldn't risk spending my own money.

·
Banned
173 Posts
U could wire it to go on when VTEC hits...since ppl have the VTEC light...you can attach a relay to turn the "turbo" on. Just 1) how long does it take to reach it's optimum speed? 2) What will happen when you shift to the next gear? There are more varibles and contants to this problem.

With real turbo..it's controlled by the exhast which is controlled by how much air is taken in which is controlled by how much the driver steps on the gas.

There is no "easy" solution to this "electric turbo" a lot of time has to go in into designing for it to work properly and efficently.
For this thing too work...1) it has to always be on, so it needs a blow off valve 2)has to have somekind of feedback system 3) It has to responed quick enough to the change in voltage that is demanded of it at differenet RPM ranges.

·
Acuraworld Junior Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the vtech activation sounds interesting....

but i dont know about trying anything like that on my car

·
I am no one
14,751 Posts
i know APEXi (sp??) makes stuff for our cars where you can control the rpm when the vtech kicks in, some people set it from 4400rpm stock to 4000 rpm or so. i know it could be done

·
Registered
80 Posts
I couldn't find the actual add but I did find this. It seems to function just like the device I saw only there was no turbo housing. This one looks like it might be a better idea.Turbodyne

·
Banned
173 Posts
Turbodyne seems to have a working product...but at the cost of

"As an approximation, for any given engine, TurbopacTM draws about 25% of the electrical current of a starter motor for the same engine, but only for short bursts of several seconds. "

25% off ur starter motor...that's alot of stress from ur starter...and for only a short burst of several seconds doesn't make me feel any more comfortable. Several meaning 7 seconds...and how about after 7 seconds...it will draw only 20%??? Car battery are running 12 V...at run this thing...you are pushing a crap load of AMPS through it...look at how thick the wires are on the thing.

I would say this product would work. Depending on the price vs. the gain...i'm not sure it's a good thing to buy...i'm gonna e-mail them and ask them more questions about their product.

I think it will just be safer to go with the CT supercharger when it comes out.

Yes APEXi does make VTEC controller, fuel controller and all the electronic stuff. VTEC for the TLS starts at 4800, not 4400....you can control when VTEC is engage with one of these controllers. There is always a trade off of having VTEC engaging earlier.

·
Registered
93 Posts
These electric turbo came with a switch (install in the engine compartment) that trigger at WOT only.

when at WOT, the switch flip and turn on that thing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.