Acura World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 MDX that I've been taking pretty good care of. I don't take it off road -- all highway miles. I just took it in for the 67,500 service checkup and was told that 2 of the engine mounts were cracked.

Does that sounds right for an expensive, premium vehicle like this to have engine mounts that crack?

On top of that, I have an extended warranty and am told that the engine mount cracks are considered wear and tear, so it's not covered.

Seems to me if something like an engine mount is a wear and tear item - an expensive vehicle like the Acura would be built with much stronger mounts! Or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for any insight anyone can share!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I was told by the dealer that one of my mounts was cracked when the timing belt/water pump were being replaced at 105k miles on our '02 MDX. Think it may be a money maker.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have 188888 and they are now bad a way you can tell is put the car in drive hold the brake and give gas if the engine jumps alot then there bad

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'd call BS on wear and tear. Engine mounts are like the frame. They should out last the car with regular driving. Wear and tear occurs on moving parts. Yeah, tires wear out, brakes, shocks, etc.

Not wear and tear. More like an issue for that model. Hope it does not carry over to my 08.

I'd get another opinion.

·
Old Parts Slinger
9,587 Posts
Here's the thing. The engine mounts would be considered wear and tear items since they do move and they do wear. The mounts from the factory are very soft to keep NVH levels down, otherwise you people would complain about too much vibration for a 40k+ SUV. I've typically seen around 60-120K miles lifespan out of the stock mount. I've even seen shorter when the vehicles are driven by soccer moms (changing gears while still moving in opposite motion, throttle jabs, etc).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts