Acura World banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy 2010 RL model but after some research I see that there was a massive issue on Honda engines 3.7 liters burning engine oil excessively.
Is there any RL model that have the same issue?

· Registered
144 Posts
It was an issue with the RL, MDX, ZDX, and TLs with the updated 3.7L engines cylinder rings. I have an 11 MDX and it has the updated 3.7L and it burns about 2 qts per 9500 mile oil change. It was the 10-13 MDX with the updated 3.7L that had the oil consumption issue and the 07-09 MDXs were 100% fine. I don't know which model of TL, RL, or ZDX got the updated 3.7L (probably the same time as the 10-13 MDXs).

The 3.7L oil rings would get clogged with oil gunk and stick. Oil was able to squeeze by the stuck rings and was burned in the cylinder(s), foul the plugs, and jack up emission if it got too bad for too long. The oil consumption could be as bad as 1 qt per 1000 miles. Acura did have an extended warranty to fix the issue; but, I think it expired a few years ago (replace the cylinders and piston rings, check YouTube). My 11 MDX didn't burn enough oil to qualify for the free fix (you had to close to the 1 qt per 1000 mile mark).

I've always used Mobil 1 syn oil when I purchased my 11 MDX used back in 2014 with 30,000 miles. My oil consumption issue hasn't changed with +154,000 miles on the MDX now.

You should be 100% safe if you go with an RL or RLX that has the 3.5L V-6. It is hit-or-miss with the 3.7L RLs with the issue. You might have to drive the 3.7L RL 1000-3000 miles before knowing you have this issue.

· Registered
117 Posts
Infrequent oil changes and low quality (Dino oil) is the common source of the coking that leads to oil consumption. I have three v6 hondas with the low tension rings, 187K mile Pilot, 98K Acura TL & 146K Accord. The Accord had an issue, but traced that down to a faulty PCV valve and all now go 3K+/qt.

Once the rings are coked though, you are screwed. Very very difficult to unstuck the rings

Astrobuf

· Registered
198 Posts
I am looking to buy 2010 RL model but after some research I see that there was a massive issue on Honda engines 3.7 liters burning engine oil excessively.
Is there any RL model that have the same issue?
hope eyou are fine man and resolved your issue may you collect all thhe relevant information of the before buying from Vin decoder which give the history information of the car

1 - 6 of 6 Posts