Acura World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any one you S owners find exhaust noise too
loud, thinking about buying 2003 cl s 6speed
Have heard type S go along road and hear exhaust noise , that is put into car by Honda.Is it loud and bothersome after a while?

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
OH so far from it!!! The exhaust is perfectly tuned - the only time you ever really hear it is in the 5-7k RPM range - and just wait for VTEC at 4800 RPM (Type-S). The intake actually has two plenums - the second of which opens at 3800 RPM and creates a resonance "supercharging" effect to boost HP.

Add a CAI or short ram, and VTEC sounds like an indy race car - of course, only from 4500 or so on up. ;)

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I rev my car in the upper limits just to get that sound sometimes. And if i am driving around normally i dont hear it all.

I do, however, think that we have too much road noise. My taurus doesn't make that much noise!!!

·
baby polar bear
1,755 Posts
Loseit said:
I rev my car in the upper limits just to get that sound sometimes. And if i am driving around normally i dont hear it all.

I do, however, think that we have too much road noise. My taurus doesn't make that much noise!!!
the road noise would be due to your tires, b/c they are the only thing actually touching the road.

changing tires will help this i do believe ;)

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
The stock Michelins are just a POS all around. MY Kumhos, though a lower load range than the stocks, are quieter, stickier, and 100% better in the wet. They're only 3 season tires (fine for FL), but I love em.

If I can afford it, however, I'll be replacing them with Toyo Proxies T1-S.

avengerjr said:

the road noise would be due to your tires, b/c they are the only thing actually touching the road.

changing tires will help this i do believe ;)

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
autoxCLS said:
If I can afford it, however, I'll be replacing them with Toyo Proxies T1-S.

I heard the road noise in the Toyos is pretty bad after they get some wear.... might want to take that into consideration before purchasing them.

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
Ya, but they have a significantly stronger sidewall, which is better for autocrossing. ;)

·
Acuraworld Veteran
1,108 Posts
ROad noise is loud with stock tires, I got the DUnlops and it was real quiet. WInd noise at 80-100 is somewhat loud because of the big sideview mirrors, but overall the car is very comfy and rides smooth and quiet.
As far as the exhaust goes, it is a very quiet car, actually going down the 1/4 mile you can barely hear our cars while you can hear every other car. Mark back me up on that. I love the sound the exhaust makes sort of a weaker Porsche Boxster sound, I"m just trying to figure out a way to duplicate the sound of a carrera of Bozster now.
At Vtech it sounds great, it screams instead of making a loud rumble like other cars do in high RPMS. and it is really sweet if you have an AEM and put it up there in cold weather.
As for the Toyos, don't listen to grandpa over here, get rid of those stock tires and get Dunlop Sport 5000s. You'll love em, trust me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts