Acura World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
NO AMG, NO CARE
10,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like Verbatim, Imation, and TDKs.

How about you guys?

I remember my favorite ones used to be the white TDKs with the blue bottoms...but they werent 700/80s. oh well ;)

·
Moderator?
9,790 Posts
I read an article about them recently. The companies that make their own, and have good quality control are Imation, Sony, Verbatim, Kodak, and Taio Yuden. Others like Memorex and store brands can vary from good to awful depending on the maker. And you won't know who made that batch before you buy it.

·
Registered
407 Posts
what ever you do don't buy memorex, these pieces of shit skip if I turn to the left and hit the brakes I thought it was my stock cd player but other cd-r's don't do it and neither do non-burnt. It doesn't help having 30 left @#$%^*!

This is what I want to do to them

:misslefir :violent: :chainsaw: :hammer: :mad: :squintfin

·
Moderator?
9,790 Posts
Yeah Memorex sucks. Avoid ALL Memorex media. Long ago I had a Colorado 250MB tape drive. I couldn't get it to work. Colorado tech support told me to exchange the Memorex tapes for 3M. More recently I was talking to Plextor tech support. He told me Memorex was on their shit list. He recommended Imation (formerly 3M).

·
NO AMG, NO CARE
10,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
see, I liked the Imations, but the ones I had were only 16x compatible...my CD_R drive is 24x so I wanted media that could support the speed. Are TDKs okay? :dunno:

·
Moderator?
9,790 Posts
Iridium130 said:
see, I liked the Imations, but the ones I had were only 16x compatible...my CD_R drive is 24x so I wanted media that could support the speed. Are TDKs okay? :dunno:
I don't think I've ever used TDK. But Imation makes 700MB 24x media. As for your stock of 16x, try them at 24x. They'll probably work. If not, just run them at 16x to use them up.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Phil,

I am using the 80min 24X TDK ones and they are ok.. for a while, as you know, I was having problems getting it to burn at 24X.. but I finally got it to work..

They are great for Data CDs, but not the best when it comes to music..

I loved the 16X ones with the blue bottoms, never had a problem why any of them. You could burn these at 24X as well.

But I couldn't find those ones anymore.. so I had to get the newer ones, but at least they were cheap..

For brands, any Taiyo Yuden based media will work great.
You can usually tell these ones because they have made in japan on them and has a black spinner lock on top of the spindle.

Look for the Sony 700MB ones from Best Buy.. I think those are made by TY.. :bigok:

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
How is the quality of Maxell?

·
Registered
407 Posts
MEMOREX :bash: :egoshoot: :flame: :hammer: :chainsaw: :violent: : misslefir :barf:

·
NO AMG, NO CARE
10,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Edub said:
Phil,

I am using the 80min 24X TDK ones and they are ok.. for a while, as you know, I was having problems getting it to burn at 24X.. but I finally got it to work..

They are great for Data CDs, but not the best when it comes to music..

I loved the 16X ones with the blue bottoms, never had a problem why any of them. You could burn these at 24X as well.

But I couldn't find those ones anymore.. so I had to get the newer ones, but at least they were cheap..

For brands, any Taiyo Yuden based media will work great.
You can usually tell these ones because they have made in japan on them and has a black spinner lock on top of the spindle.

Look for the Sony 700MB ones from Best Buy.. I think those are made by TY.. :bigok:
what ended up being the problem? I had no idea :dunno:

I already finished off my 100 pack of Imations...Nero said it was burning at 24x but I dont know if that was the true burning speed....:dunno:

These TDKs are working okay so far...what do you mean by it not being great for music? :confused:

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
My Plextor recommends the Maxell brand CDRs. I might give them a shot.

·
Acuraworld Veteran
1,108 Posts
I was burning PS games with the Memorex Black CD-R and had about 20 left over. I had no problems with those 20.

But for the most part I use the Imations. My burners are TDK 16x and Yamaha 16x

for some reason TDK burns data much better/faster

·
Registered
407 Posts
I was using the memorex high capacity cd-r 80 min, I must have got a really bad batch or something? When I put them in my burner they read as having something on them already, plus other problems. No luck with these!

·
NO AMG, NO CARE
10,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had a batch of PNY CD-Rs.....they all sucked. I couldn't burn onto them....

I have decided PNY sucks as a CD-R company. HOw are their hard drives and whatnot?

·
Moderator?
9,790 Posts
I don't thing PNY actually makes anything. They're just a relabeller. I know for SURE that they don't make hard drives. There's only about 6 hard drive makers on Earth and they're aren't one of them. The problem with companies like PNY is that the quality can vary widely from one batch to the next depending on who actually made the product.

·
Moderator?
9,790 Posts
Crazy_AcurA said:
who cares the brand... i use Office Depot brand, and they work great!
But the next batch might not. You never know when the supplier changes. Also, if you plan on archiving data on your CD-R's, be very careful. I used some Memorex a while ago. Seemed fine. I used them to store ghost images of systems I'd built. After a year of being stored in a cool, dark place, I get CRC errors and can't read them. :(

If you just need them for temporary storage or transportation, then feel free to use whatever your drive will burn. But for archival use, stick to the major brands like Imation, Sony, Verbatim, or Taio Yuden. Too bad Kodak's exiting the business. Their stuff was great.

·
Registered
14,297 Posts
yea trust me i know.. only reason i buy the cheap shit is cuz i only use it for music... after i burn the cd... i play it for like a month and throw it away... :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts