Acura World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
drove cls six speed today. Observations. Car is fast. . engine is very quiet, with some exceptions, Clutch action is very good. negatives.
too too much road noise. Car has same tires as my BMW 528 , yet hear road noise on coupe, very little on my 528. I feel vibration in the seat at idle, and through steering wheel. In fact when you rev car at idle to around 2500 rpm feel the engine through the steering wheel. Brakes are good, but not as immediate as on BMW/ Steering for front wheel drive car is very immediate., but does not feel as secure as rw drive BMW. If I went from my old legend to this car, I think I would have been
very happy. This cars clutch is great , but the shifter is not a smooth as I would have expected/ all in all for the money not bad, as far as engine
in 5th grear your hear resonance about 2500 rpm.
6th gear, I do not know why it is there, never really neded it, I guess never drove above 75.

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
So - how would you rate the following compared to your current car: (0 being worst, 10 best)

1) Brakes
2) Engine
3) Transmission
4) Handling
5) Luxury
6) Fit and finish

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rate 528/vs cls

engine more balls on CLS
tranny about equal
brakes BMW far superior
fit & finish. BMw far better but costs 15 k more
handling BMW is more secure. front wheel vs rear
wheel drive.CLs drives fine , but does not feel secure. Also wheel base on Bimmy is longer about four inches. tires on bmw. stock not sport package
h rated but 225/55/16s wider tread. same michelins

·
Registered
582 Posts
Picked up my 03 last week. 500 miles now on the odometer. I don't feel the engine the way you described it. At high rpm you hear it more than feel it.

·
Yuck Foo
2,589 Posts
6speed said:
Picked up my 03 last week. 500 miles now on the odometer. I don't feel the engine the way you described it. At high rpm you hear it more than feel it.
Get some headers to solve that problem. ;)

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
Re: high rpm - is that a good thing or a bad thing in your opinion?

6speed said:

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
1) Get a K&N drop-in air filter. Should be the same part number as the '02-'01, but you might want to check. See my sig for my part #.

OR

2) Get a short ram / CAI. Short ram gives the same benefit, but without the hydrolock risk.

With either of those, VTEC sounds SO much sweeter.

6speed said:
good thing ...... the car sings:eek:

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
autoxCLS said:
1) Get a K&N drop-in air filter. Should be the same part number as the '02-'01, but you might want to check. See my sig for my part #.

OR

2) Get a short ram / CAI. Short ram gives the same benefit, but without the hydrolock risk.

With either of those, VTEC sounds SO much sweeter.

:werd:

·
Cajun Gumbo Man
916 Posts
I don't know, I drove it and felt horrible torque steer ! I drove over a uneven pavent and all lost control of the car at hard throttle, so I took my slush box over the same street, with same trottle and NO steering nightmare.....I'm sorry, but I was not impressed, I'll keep the SLUSH- O - MATIC ! My next manual will have REAR WHEEL OR ALL WHEEL DRIVE ! ;) ;) ;) :bigok:

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Fabvsix said:
I don't know, I drove it and felt horrible torque steer ! I drove over a uneven pavent and all lost control of the car at hard throttle, so I took my slush box over the same street, with same trottle and NO steering nightmare.....I'm sorry, but I was not impressed, I'll keep the SLUSH- O - MATIC ! My next manual will have REAR WHEEL OR ALL WHEEL DRIVE ! ;) ;) ;) :bigok:
Are you sure it wasn't the LSD kicking in?

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
Wow - that's where the LSD is supposed to excel. I wonder if it had more to do with lack of traction control / VSA????

I still wonder why they omitted those. :-/

Fabvsix said:

·
Cajun Gumbo Man
916 Posts
No, I'm 41, grew up on manuals, my first was a 1949 PU truck, 3 speed manual, so NO, it was tourqe steer, even the salesman noticed it and had a look on his face when he saw me trying to keep the car on the road, it was not pleasant and I was NOT impressed at all, infact, it ended my drive, I turned around and got in my "auto", went down the same road and duplicated the effort and WOW, what a difference, it plowed through with no effort what's so ever........It made me re-think this VSA stuff and HLSD etc.........I am probably going to drive it again.....:dunno: :dunno:

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
Well - I'll give you that.

Wait a sec tho - let's assume the manual has 30 more HP to the wheels from the efficiency of the manual. That's about what headers give you, and the guys with them haven't reported more torque steer...

I wonder if it's a by-product of the HLSD that it is less effective in a straight line? :confused:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
maybe that's why I said car did not feel secure

in my drives I felt car hnadled well, but not secure. BMW manuals have all the equivalent systems, as does the tls, traction control, stability control. but on the bimmy you know when the system is active, a light flashes. No lights went off in my two test drives,but I felt something was wrong, As I stated before I did drive a TLS and found the car was more comfortable. again, I did not cause the systems to
be used. butcar felt better. Longer wheel base? less Hp to the wheels? torque steer? I do not know
but 260 hp to a front driver may cause that twitchyness, I think we are all commenting about/ .what is so strange I drove my partner 5sp manual
maxima 255 hp. only in straight lines. But I did no expect or did not get great handling.mayb drove that car more conservatively. Acura has much better steering than maxima, But its still a front driver. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
Re: maybe that's why I said car did not feel secure

Jay,

The '03 6MT CLS has neither traction control or VSA. That's why there weren't lights. ;) My 01 CLS has a big yellow "!" that lights up when I spin the tires.

Jay Gans said:
in my drives I felt car hnadled well, but not secure. BMW manuals have all the equivalent systems, as does the tls, traction control, stability control. but on the bimmy you know when the system is active, a light flashes. No lights went off in my two test drives,but I felt something was wrong, As I stated before I did drive a TLS and found the car was more comfortable. again, I did not cause the systems to
be used. butcar felt better. Longer wheel base? less Hp to the wheels? torque steer? I do not know
but 260 hp to a front driver may cause that twitchyness, I think we are all commenting about/ .what is so strange I drove my partner 5sp manual
maxima 255 hp. only in straight lines. But I did no expect or did not get great handling.mayb drove that car more conservatively. Acura has much better steering than maxima, But its still a front driver. :dunno:

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
autoxCLS said:
Well - I'll give you that.

Wait a sec tho - let's assume the manual has 30 more HP to the wheels from the efficiency of the manual. That's about what headers give you, and the guys with them haven't reported more torque steer...
Ummm.... yes they have!!!! I've mentioned several times that torque steer becomes a little more evident with the headers. And a little more so with an intake. Stock, the car had virtually none, and even with headers/intake there was very very little, IMHO.

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
Wow - imagine a 6MT CLS with headers! :eek:

I want! I want! :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts