Acura World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking for any advise - I have searched all the Posts I could and no one else seems to have had the same issue.

About 2 months ago my passenger side headlight went out, well after reading posts here I swapped the bulbs and bam - "head light burnt" I replaced it. well all of the sudden on Wednesday I realized the drivers side head light was out - well not really it was flickering and very very dim....

So today I woke up
swapped bulbs - still flickering
then I swapped igniters - still flickering
then I took off the bumper and swapped Ballasts - Still flickering
then i tried a few different combinations of headlight , igniter and ballast - still flickering

Just to add a little more info - Seems that when the LOW beams are on the left side flickers - but when i turn the high beams on the flickering goes away and there in NO high beam on the drivers side / on the passenger side the High beam goes on and the low beam stays on also.

Well then I called the local Acura dealer in Salt Lake City - and the Part guy said I have no idea try service, I explained to the service writer everything I had done and she laughed and said i was ambitious, then she told me that just this week they had a 2002 TL come in with the same issue......
she went back into her history and found it. Apparently they changed the "Headlight Control Module" its under the dash they charged $285 for the part and $145 for labor and they fixed it.

I have searched High and Low and no one has ever mentioned a Headlight Control Module. If any one out there can help I would be very very grateful.

thanks in advance!!!:beerchug:

·
Old Parts Slinger
9,604 Posts
That's interesting. Even with swapping ballast from side to side and still flickers. That means the ballast or igniter isn't getting the proper voltage it needs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's interesting. Even with swapping ballast from side to side and still flickers. That means the ballast or igniter isn't getting the proper voltage it needs.
YUP !!! thats exactly what is killing me!! I just don't get it..:wtf:

·
2001 3.2 TL-P
111 Posts
Looking for any advise - I have searched all the Posts I could and no one else seems to have had the same issue.

About 2 months ago my passenger side headlight went out, well after reading posts here I swapped the bulbs and bam - "head light burnt" I replaced it. well all of the sudden on Wednesday I realized the drivers side head light was out - well not really it was flickering and very very dim....

So today I woke up
swapped bulbs - still flickering
then I swapped igniters - still flickering
then I took off the bumper and swapped Ballasts - Still flickering
then i tried a few different combinations of headlight , igniter and ballast - still flickering

Just to add a little more info - Seems that when the LOW beams are on the left side flickers - but when i turn the high beams on the flickering goes away and there in NO high beam on the drivers side / on the passenger side the High beam goes on and the low beam stays on also.

Well then I called the local Acura dealer in Salt Lake City - and the Part guy said I have no idea try service, I explained to the service writer everything I had done and she laughed and said i was ambitious, then she told me that just this week they had a 2002 TL come in with the same issue......
she went back into her history and found it. Apparently they changed the "Headlight Control Module" its under the dash they charged $285 for the part and $145 for labor and they fixed it.

I have searched High and Low and no one has ever mentioned a Headlight Control Module. If any one out there can help I would be very very grateful.

thanks in advance!!!:beerchug:
Great! I just dropped $2700 on a transmission, and I have the same problem. I noticed one bulb was out one night. Next day, it was working. Then the driver's side went out. They flicker, and sometimes neither one comes on, sometimes both.

:wtf:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem with my 01 TL. The culprit was a blown fuse, in my case on the passenger side. I swapped the fuse and everything started working again (aside from an HID bulb that was showing signs of going bad). As far as I know, from checking my shop manual for the car, there is no "headlight controller". I fear the dealership charged you $430 to change a fuse.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts