Acura World banner

For those that dont like the new BMW 7 series

2K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  daverman 
#1 ·

See less See more
#4 ·
jimster716 said:
must be nice to be filthy $$$...tough dilemma would i wait for the 12 cylinder? hmmm....
Hell yeah wait for the 12 cylinder. I drove the 745i and that thing is amazing! It feels like a refined race car around corners. For a big car it is simply amazing!

#7 ·
My dad is looking into trading in his 00' 740iL for a 03' 745iL. I like the way it drives, the new design, and the interior detail. What I don't like is the idrive and the stalk shifter. The idrive is too demanding for something so simple to control. I mean in a regular car you can sit down, turn on the car, turn it to the radio station you prefer... with the idrive you insert the key, hit "start", tap on the knob, press down, right, etc... The stalk shifter seems un BMW too. I remember the joy of driving my bimmer was to have the shifter right next to you be it auto or stick. It just communicates better with the driver. Now the stalk just feels like they are doing a "GMC" truck with a little bit of added techno flavor... Too much too soon I think.

#11 ·
EW...looks fugly ...i like the older models of the 7xx series. They look<i><b>ed</i></b> awesome...now the new design is out...it's rather nasty lookin...

#14 ·
I hate that rear end--I'd prefer a Saturn's butt over that, but that's just me.

Yeah, I've read nothing but scathing reviews with regards to the electronic controls, especially the I-Drive. It's proof once again that the German's can't design electronic user interfaces like the Japanese can. Have you seen the Blaupunkt navigation system? It makes our Navi system look like it's designed by a higher power.

If I had the money I'd wait a couple of years until BMW irons out (or flat out replaces) the I-Drive control. I think it's a liability--a fancy gadget that gets in your way.

#15 ·
daverman said:
Yeah, I've read nothing but scathing reviews with regards to the electronic controls, especially the I-Drive. It's proof once again that the German's can't design electronic user interfaces like the Japanese can. Have you seen the Blaupunkt navigation system? It makes our Navi system look like it's designed by a higher power.

If I had the money I'd wait a couple of years until BMW irons out (or flat out replaces) the I-Drive control. I think it's a liability--a fancy gadget that gets in your way.
my thoughts exactly :beerchug:

#16 ·
daverman said:
I hate that rear end--I'd prefer a Saturn's butt over that, but that's just me.

can't agree more.

#19 ·
evolaerok said:
I think the i-drive is too much right now. I think lexus has the best idea of putting the navi screen more in the drivers view and improving from there on. BMW made a huge leap, but for what?
they always do that. that's a good thing...get the good shit out man...then improve on it..haha. :D they we're the first to have a navigation system.

#21 ·
vince said:

Actually the 96 RL was the first navi system in the US. And speaking of navi, why don't more companies use a popup screen, like Volvo and Infiniti?
I guess companies think it's too much of a hazard for breaking. Or like something caught in between the screen and when pressing it down the screen gets messed up. I don't like the new camry/es300 navi either. To prone to breaking. My favorite design is the SC430 with the hide away doors. BTW the IS300 has popup too...

#23 ·
vince said:
Actually the 96 RL was the first navi system in the US. And speaking of navi, why don't more companies use a popup screen, like Volvo and Infiniti?
More moving parts = more parts to break, more parts to rattle, more parts to get jammed, more parts to fly around and hit people if it breaks in an accident. I'm not a fan of pop-up panels in the cockpit anyway.

If someone can design a decent HUD Navi/computer system for the car with cursor key control on the steering wheel... I'll be impressed :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.