Votes: 1 25.0%
  • 13 gallons

Votes: 2 50.0%
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I was on a long haul road trip and ran the fuel tank down to where I was uncomfortable. Details...

Computer said i had 50 miles to go with fuel gauge down to the last tick before "empty".

At this point, I put in 12.87 gallons. Based on the advertised 16 gallon tank, there was just a tickle over 3 gallons left in the tank. Assuming 25 MPG which I was getting perhaps on the Interstate, at this moment I probably could have gone another 75 miles or 25 miles past a "good to go" reading of zero.

Stuck in traffic, certainly less than 75 miles from this point and past my comfort zone. Last place I want to go "bone dry" in on an Interstate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Since i only live 13 miles from work I decided to see what happens if i didn't fill. I was showing a 40 mile range when I left my house in the morning. Upon returning this evening when the range showed 30 a red light came on near the fuel gauge and the miles left disappeared and was replaced a low fuel message. I filled up within a couple of miles and it took 13.5 gallons. So if its a 16 gallon tank the low fuel sensor goes off with 2.5 gallons remaining. The fuel gauge showed 1 tick left.

·
RDX-Base-2015
17 Posts
It's never a good idea to let the tank get that empty because 1) it may damage or shorten the life of the fuel pump since the gas in the tank actually cools down the pump 2) all the heavy moisture and junk collected at the bottom of the tank could be sucked in to the engine and cause injector malfunction.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.