Acura World banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I am smelling a gas(or some kind of oil smell) in the cabin when I start my TSX 2011 after overnight parking or when I start after some hours of parking. It stays only for couple of minutes then I don't smell after driving starts. What could be the reason? Is it possible to diagnose problem at home? I live at relatively cold place.

Edit 1: I turned off the heater when I parked. Then after an hour and half I started the car again, took a round near my home with heater turned off, didn't get any smell.

Edit 2: I tested 2 ways with heater on.
1. Started car when the heater was on Auto and didn't get any smell.
2. Started car when the heater was on fast fan. I did get smell on in this case.

Thanks.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hello,

I am smelling a gas(or some kind of oil smell) in the cabin when I start my TSX 2011 after overnight parking or when I start after some hours of parking. It stays only for couple of minutes then I don't smell after driving starts. What could be the reason? Is it possible to diagnose problem at home? I live at relatively cold place.

Edit 1: I turned off the heater when I parked. Then after an hour and half I started the car again, took a round near my home with heater turned off, didn't get any smell.

Edit 2: I tested 2 ways with heater on.
1. Started car when the heater was on Auto and didn't get any smell.
2. Started car when the heater was on fast fan. I did get smell on in this case.

Thanks.
Most likely you have an underhood fuel leak somewhere. This could be a serious problem as it could lead to a fire.

You do not smell it when you start your car and the fan is on auto, as the fan does not run then since the coolant is still cold.

You smell it when yiu manually run the fan as the heater/ac fan injests fresh air from the louvered area between the back of the hood and the windshield. The vapors of fuel leaked get sucked in there.

Yoi dont smell it for long for one of two reasons:

1. You get used to it. A high pressure leak in a pressurized fuel line or fitting would be very dangerous.

2. It is a small leak that is associated with an overpressure that stops after the engine cools off.

The vehicles fuel tank venting system seems the likely culprit. The charcoal cannister that is part of that system is in the engine bay. It is supposed to trap fuel vapor emitted from the fuel tank and when the engine is running switch the canister to purge mode and vent the stored fuel vapor into the engine.

People who "top off" the fuel tank repeatedly end up packing the charcoal canister full of liquid fuel, not just vapor. This and perhaps a cracked feed hose would lead to the symptoms you are seeing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.