Acura World banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A growing number of you all are buying Legends because of their depreciated value and wanting to swap TYPE II engines or parts from it to make it more powerful well, i have news for you all, it may not entirely be worth your while. I pioneered the TYPE II setup back in 99' so my credentials speak for themselves.

The TYPE II is a bit better on paper, but the 30hp more the manufacture claims is hardly that. I like the TYPE II because the manifold is cleaner with less vacuum sensors and such, however when compared to the RL manifold its the RL that is cleaner.This obviously has nothing to do with HP. As for airflow, there should be no doubt that a port and polish on any of these manifolds will do just fine. The RL again comes up supreme in my opinion because of the way the manifolds runners are radiused. Also completely removing the VIS is an option for top end power on any of the manifolds. More info on that as i get more driving in my car. As for the heads the TYPE II are the best, but by a very small margin vs. the TYPE I. 1mm bigger fuel valves, better exhaust manifolds,and a bigger fuel rail is about it, not much considering the level of work.

Comparing the componets that matter the bottom end is identical vs TI & TII.

Bottom line if you have to replace the entire engine because of necessity by all means go TYPE II, but if your looking for HP there are way better mods out there to give it to you such as, intakes, exhausts, ECU upgrades etc.

Anytime you go porting this engine out expect to lose TQ, and on a car like this that may not be something you’re willing to lose unless you go all out.

~TRu Hybrid

·
Registered
1 Posts
type II easy swap?

I have a type I engine and im going to swap the engine because the cylinders had an electrolyic reaction and are deteriorating. My questions is, is the Type II engine a direct swap? or are there things that need to be modded in order to get it to work right?

This is my wifes car and im trying to make this swap as easy as possible. if I have to mod stuff I dont want to do it, but if the wiring plugs and hoses are all the same etc. and it just drops right in, then Ill do it. I cant seem to find anyone who has actually done it. thanks

·
Registered
88 Posts
tiamat6x3 said:
I have a type I engine and im going to swap the engine because the cylinders had an electrolyic reaction and are deteriorating. My questions is, is the Type II engine a direct swap? or are there things that need to be modded in order to get it to work right?

This is my wifes car and im trying to make this swap as easy as possible. if I have to mod stuff I dont want to do it, but if the wiring plugs and hoses are all the same etc. and it just drops right in, then Ill do it. I cant seem to find anyone who has actually done it. thanks
It is a bolt up swap. There is only one thing that is missing and it the the air injection system. Just plug off the vaccum line that goes to it and you are good to go...

·
Blackend Legend OG
226 Posts
Rumnarv said:
It is a bolt up swap. There is only one thing that is missing and it the the air injection system. Just plug off the vaccum line that goes to it and you are good to go...
There are a few other odds and ends, missing vaccum line loom, other vaccum line stuff, and one part of the wiring harness that does not match up, but its fairly easy to re-wire. Have you done a type II swap rumnarv?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Type II engine vs. Type I

My first Legend was a 1994 GS with 6-speed manual. All of the reasons that I really wanted the GS were bogus (from my point of view!). The shifter was balky, and it was hard to launch. The Type II engine does produce more power **at high RPM**, but it produces less torque in the lower ranges. I sold it and bought a 1992 L sedan with 5-speed manual. Much easier to launch and the gear change is a dream!

Bottom line - if what you're looking for is high RPM performance, then the Type II could well be your answer. But, try driving a GS sedan with the 6-speed before you spend $$$ on upgrading (downgrading?) to a Type II for your sedan.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.