Acura World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone out there can recommend the best 'bad weather' (rain/snow/ice) tires that are still in the ALL SEASON category.

I've had Michelin Pilots and the performance in New England weather is poor.

Best if they aren't too expensive, but I'll take all recommends.

Thanks!
Acura TSX 2004

·
Moderatus Emeriti
22,190 Posts
I'm wondering if anyone out there can recommend the best 'bad weather' (rain/snow/ice) tires that are still in the ALL SEASON category.

I've had Michelin Pilots and the performance in New England weather is poor.

Best if they aren't too expensive, but I'll take all recommends.

Thanks!
Acura TSX 2004
My personal best - but they are difficult to find locally for me - is the

Nokian WR G2

This is where I've had great success and satisfaction in getting these great tires and great service:

Nokian WR G2 Tires at Discount Prices - Free Shipping!

Truth In Recommendations: We do not get a lot of snow (S/E PA and southern NJ)- a lot of rain, but not too much snow - but these tires are phenomenal in wet road conditions, even with a heavy coating of leaves on the road.

Good shopping.

John

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just installed goodyear eagle GT on the tsx and they do very well in the rain. I don't know about snow/ice yet. compared to the stock michelin, they do better on dry/wet, comfort is about the same, but you hear a little more road noise. I paid $720 for everything(including alignment) and got a $50 mail in rebate. However, if I wanted to spend more money I would get Michelin Primacy.

·
STL-G
1 Posts
My opinion, for the price and ride quality you cannot beat the Continental ContiExtremeContacts. My wife has them on her 3 Series BMW, no problems in St. Louis winters and light snow. I just bought the new ContiExtreme DWS, $152 each at AutoTire. In the rain they are first class, yet to see snow but the tread looks more than adequate for less than 3". These are directional, quiet and handle great. I went with 225/45/17 because I prefer the high performance profile on my 2004 TSX. My vote is Continental.

·
The boy and Barclay
1,546 Posts
I've had good success with BFG Traction T/A's here in snow country.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone...so overwhelmed

I appreciate all your responses and recommends.

I have narrowed my purchase down to what is available at a RETAIL OUTLET. I have decided not to buy online.

I'd rather drive up, leave my car and return with it all done. This way I can return if there is a problem and not have to deal with online mailing etc.

I was quoted for;

Toyo Versado LX...$189 per tire, $891 all said*

Nokian WR's...$229 per tire, $1236 all said*

*mounting, balancing, recycling, protection policy, alignment

That's a pretty big difference.

Anyone got an opinion...I don't plan to drive in HIGH snow since the car is so low to the ground anyway...and it does get WET here in Boston...a LOT. My Michelin Pilots SUCK in snow and rain.

·
Moderatus Emeriti
22,190 Posts
I appreciate all your responses and recommends.

I have narrowed my purchase down to what is available at a RETAIL OUTLET. I have decided not to buy online.

I'd rather drive up, leave my car and return with it all done. This way I can return if there is a problem and not have to deal with online mailing etc.

I was quoted for;

Toyo Versado LX...$189 per tire, $891 all said*

Nokian WR's...$229 per tire, $1236 all said*

*mounting, balancing, recycling, protection policy, alignment

That's a pretty big difference.

Anyone got an opinion...I don't plan to drive in HIGH snow since the car is so low to the ground anyway...and it does get WET here in Boston...a LOT. My Michelin Pilots SUCK in snow and rain.
I am solidly sold on the Nokians! I have never driven on the Toyo tires you listed, so I can't make an honest comparison. I can tell you that the Nokians will wear like iron, stick like glue and are very quiet. I have never been disappointed in any Nokian tire I've owned in the last 15 years. And I can tell you that the difference between the Michelin's that came on my RSX and the Nokians is extremely dramatic.

Tough decisions but I'm a firm believer in looking at where the tires were designed; the market they were originally developed for; the type of weather conditions you may encounter and (most importantly) you get what you pay for.

Good luck and good driving.

John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts