Acura World banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this is for you audio gurus. I went yesterday to get a quote for a sub in the rear of the ZO6 and got the quote very close to $1,000.

This included a JL 10" sub, 3 neons, small amp, custom box to fit snugly into the rear trunk compartment. This was all going to be retrofitted into the stock system w/ sub control in front.

Is $1,000 too much for just this?

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
I think it's reasonable with custom fitting, wirings, and labor stuff.. JL are the best sub, you get what you paid for.. Just to give you a price check.. My cousin bought a CRX for $2000 and hooked it up with $1,500 worth of audio system: box for JL audio 12" W6, alpine head unit, MB quart component, phoenix gold amp, etc... The sound is awesome and claritiy is fantastic... The set-up is very clean more like a stealth look... Go for it.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Which models of JL and amp please. I personally wouldn't buy another JL.

But yes... for custom work under 1k for amp, sub, enclosure, + lights and stuff... it is a good price.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Hattophile said:
Which models of JL and amp please. I personally wouldn't buy another JL.

But yes... for custom work under 1k for amp, sub, enclosure, + lights and stuff... it is a good price.
Why not JL?:dunno:

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
4thGSi said:
Why not JL?:dunno:
Just personal taste. I'm more SQ than SPL. Plus back in the old days
I had em pop like every other day. I know their quality is better
now... but you know how you get your bias from your early experience.

I'll probaby buy a Boston Pro 10.5 if I decide to add on.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Driven:
That is WAY too much. I'm curious to know what 10"....unless you say 10w7 it's too much. The box should be, for 1 10", about $200, the sub is probably $130 or so if it's not a w7, and the amp can't be more than $250. Neons are $40, so that's what, $380 left floating?

Hattophile:
Hmm...think you need to check their new stuff out.

Austin519

·
Registered
16,140 Posts
If it's from a quality installer, and all the parts are nice, name brands, then it's not toooo steep, but you could probably do it yourself, unless the box is way weird to fit in there.
For a Z06, you don't want just anyone to install, you want it to be clean, not to rattle (already enough of those), and to look good, not like some backyard job. Check the place out, and if you like their work, go for it. You might be able to save $200, but if the quality isn't good, it's not worth it.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Driven said:
Ok, this is for you audio gurus. I went yesterday to get a quote for a sub in the rear of the ZO6 and got the quote very close to $1,000.

This included a JL 10" sub, 3 neons, small amp, custom box to fit snugly into the rear trunk compartment. This was all going to be retrofitted into the stock system w/ sub control in front.

is the stock stereo/speaker not good at all? I think 1k for custom work is good price. U might find another place for a little cheaper but the make sure the workmanship is up to the par.

LIL Raja

·
Registered
196 Posts
$1000 is not bad at all. Considering they are doing some custom work to fit it all in there.

I know I paid $1500 just for the fiberglass enclosure in my trunk! I have the JL 10W3D4 and I love it. JL is one of the best all around subs I have heard--IMHO.

Dean

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
deansbluesi:
You earn brownie points with me daily heh heh :D. A fellow JLer is always good to see. But Dean, that is a TON to pay for any fiberglassing sans FGing your whole car.

Austin519

·
Registered
196 Posts
Austin519 said:
deansbluesi:
You earn brownie points with me daily heh heh :D. A fellow JLer is always good to see. But Dean, that is a TON to pay for any fiberglassing sans FGing your whole car.

Austin519
I know it was a lot, but the shop who did the install is VERY good. They just do some sick stuff.

Oh well.....its a little late now, huh? :D :p

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
deansbluesi:
Now don't be a tease...we all I'm sure want to see pics :D

Austin519

·
Registered
196 Posts
Austin519,

I am kind of a 'tard when it comes to posting pictures, though I usually get really neat looking red "X's". :D Can I e-mail or PM them to you to post for me?

Thanks,
Dean

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
Austin519 said:
Driven:
That is WAY too much. I'm curious to know what 10"....unless you say 10w7 it's too much. The box should be, for 1 10", about $200, the sub is probably $130 or so if it's not a w7, and the amp can't be more than $250. Neons are $40, so that's what, $380 left floating?
:stupid:

Find out what they are charging you for each part (amp, sub, box, labor, etc). I think if it's just a plain box maid out of MDF, that's way too much.

I had a custom box built in my old car, and that had to be assembled INSIDE the car, and that was only 265. If this is a small box that can be made outside of the car, then 200 bucks tops

Just my $.02

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
deansbluesi:
Of course :) Or just click attach and attach it to the post :D.

Austin519

·
Registered
196 Posts
Ok, here goes....Sorry if this comes out HUGE.

Oh yeah, I just remembered....the picture here is when the car was sponsored by Jensen Car Audio---sorry.

The enclosure is now in Blue/Black Carbon Fiber--I am still waiting to get another picture done with a digital camera.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
deansbluesi:
:thumbsup: Looks good bro! And it came out fine :).

Austin519

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Driven said:

must be some crazzzzzy labor they charging youu..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.