Acura World banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Purchased: April 28, 2001
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I've been meaning to install my engine covers on as soon as I had the time to repaint them (got jacked up by the body shop that worked on my car), but what I didn't realize was how much work was involved into doing it right.

First off...I couldnt exactly strip off the original paint (will take forever to get off...plus I already tried with paint thinner and no go), so I just re-coated it with another. WHAT A DISASTER! THe paint started to bubble and bunch up. You can't see it in these photos, but if you look real closely in person you will see that this is far from a good paint job.

I also noticed how ugly my CAI was with the finish all being jacked up (It didnt' have the reflective shine anymore....plus Injen won't give me the CARB sticker), so I decided to experiment. AGAIN...WHAT A DISASTER! I need to beat myself on the head on this one...but how many times do people on this board say you MUST PRIMER FIRST!

As lazy as a mofo I am, I decided to "skip" the primer process and just start applying my coats. Well, just like the engine cover (bubbles and paint blotches everywhere). I ALMOST THREW MY INTAKE PIPE AT MY NEIGHBORS YARD! But...after 10 minutes of calming down (and smelling all the fumes) I decided to not give up on it, and now it looks sorta presentable to show in the meets (provided you stay 5 feet away).

Attachments

·
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
This is what also gets me upset. Since I had to install the filter myself without anyone keeping the pipe steady, I accidentally scratched the bottom of the pipe where it is closest to the sharp body. I just reoiled the filter and it was greesy as hell and I slipped a few times.

Attachments

·
Bling_Bling INSPIRE 32V
3,018 Posts

Nice color choice!!! Looks good!

·
Registered
385 Posts
I think I saw some polo shirts in that color at The GAP. hmm. Apparently it's not very popular cause they still got lots of them. :sqnteek:

Hey, if you like it, then more power to ya.:bigok:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Anyone know where I can buy a prepainted cover. I am lazy as a mofo and dont want to get off my ass. I know I will probably mess it up. I would like it RED to match the VTECH logo on the inside of the engine bay. Let me kow I am in Cali.

·
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I dunno about buying...but a friend of mine wanted to do it to his...but just like yourself, was waaaaaay to lazy/busy to find any time for the project. Well, he basically just bought me enough paint to do another cover and did an even swap with his old one. I now have a new (used) engine cover with a MUCH better paint job, whereas my friend took my old one but since he wasn't as anal as I was about paint, was also very happy with the trade.

Perhaps you can find some1 local that's unhappy with their paint job that might be interested in an even trade.

·
Bling_Bling INSPIRE 32V
3,018 Posts
Why is everyone painting their engine covers nowadays?? :sqnteek:

·
Registered
16,149 Posts
Brian said:
not :ricey:
strongly disagree. Personally, this is one of my two least favorite TL's of ALL TIME.

He actually was doing great and then he dunked the whole car in that hideous paint scheme and made it look like a rice-mobile.

Again, just my own opinion...but why invest so much money (it was alot) if the majority of the people on the road are gag when they see it? :dunno:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.